Gorgonian dying

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this purple gorg a couple weeks back and ever since I got it it’s had some dinos and other stringy stuff on it. It’s polyps we’re always extended though.
3196EEC5-3961-4285-9257-53C1B8769DC2.jpeg
Now I’m noticing more and more as well as visible skeleton on its base image.jpg image.jpg

UnderwaterGamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gorgonians were covered in algae when I had a bloom, I just brushed the algae off with a soft bristle tooth brush and it opened back up the next day and has been fine ever since. Not sure if that's your issue or not based off the exposed skeleton though, Im not sure if that type of gorgonian has a hard skeleton though

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gorgonians were covered in algae when I had a bloom, I just brushed the algae off with a soft bristle tooth brush and it opened back up the next day and has been fine ever since. Not sure if that's your issue or not based off the exposed skeleton though, Im not sure if that type of gorgonian has a hard skeleton though
really? i thought the brown stuff is skeleton. Also I've been using a siphon to remove the dinos and even tried dipping it once and shaking everything off but they keep coming back
maybe try another dip?

Acowutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are zoa growing in it ?! im assuming your SG is good, as well as temp. do you run carbon? i can only speak to mine, but its very hardy, it wont give in to anything. also what lighting are you running ?

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are zoa growing in it ?! im assuming your SG is good, as well as temp. do you run carbon? i can only speak to mine, but its very hardy, it wont give in to anything. also what lighting are you running ?
yeah the zoas came on it. I don't run carbon and I use ai primes

UnderwaterGamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really? i thought the brown stuff is skeleton. Also I've been using a siphon to remove the dinos and even tried dipping it once and shaking everything off but they keep coming back
maybe try another dip?
Yeah I definitely brushed it with the tooth brush once every couple days until my bloom was gone. Personally I only dip corals as a last resort so I would refrain from it for now. If you have an extra toothbrush or one for the tank just gently brush it and see if the algae will come off and that might allow it to open up the next day. When I was getting rid of the algae I had a tooth brush to brush all the rocks/ coral plugs and then a small air hose to suck it all up, otherwise the normal air hose would suck up water too fast and the tank would've been empty by the time I finished lol

Acowutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have AI as well..and this might be just an over reaction, when i got mine it was closed for almost a month, still had a light pink flesh color.. but it finally extended and now it wont die.. i would just keep it clean. and froim the pictures it looks like mine did at first.

Acowutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, woldnt hurt to get a bag of carbon in there for a week, it might be a toxin thing, better safe then sorry. and always rember, if soming is off, do a water change!

Back