Gorgonian Placement question

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a photosynthetic gorgonian and want to ask if there will be any issues with this placement down the line. The polyps are extended and seems happy but the way my wave makers are setup the flow causes it to rest against my rock structure (not touching any other corals). Would this cause any issues and should I move it?

C525A93F-B297-43F0-83DA-0AD46AA49A3C.jpeg

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes good flow but retracts when it touches a rock. I have heard they need flow all around, and tissue can die that is against a rock or glass. I would try to place it so it can stay upright in med-high flow. Flow is very important to them, maybe even more so than lights - though they like/need light too.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a photosynthetic gorgonian and want to ask if there will be any issues with this placement down the line. The polyps are extended and seems happy but the way my wave makers are setup the flow causes it to rest against my rock structure (not touching any other corals). Would this cause any issues and should I move it?

I would move it away from rocks. What I’ve seen happen is that over time it will attach to the rocks and start growing which kinda messes with the aesthetics. Nice piece btw, is this a local buy?

OP
OP
AirIck

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it away from rocks. What I’ve seen happen is that over time it will attach to the rocks and start growing which kinda messes with the aesthetics. Nice piece btw, is this a local buy?
Seahorse Savvy. It’s out of ocean city, MD. It’s online only, but I was very pleased with 3 pieces I got from them. I’d highly recommend checking them out!

OP
OP
AirIck

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes good flow but retracts when it touches a rock. I have heard they need flow all around, and tissue can die that is against a rock or glass. I would try to place it so it can stay upright in med-high flow. Flow is very important to them, maybe even more so than lights - though they like/need light too.
I was worried if that. I moved it per your advice. I have it in the sand bed, in order to keep it in place some sand is touching the bottom. I’m assuming that will kill off the flesh there but will it advance up through the entire coral? I couldn’t get it to stick to rock so I just have it on the plug covered in sand to hold in place

OP
OP
AirIck

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to check it out. Nice size and quality.
Yes, I was surprised. Especially for the price! I was expecting small frags. I’ll definitely be using them more in the future. They have a lot of nice pieces online

OP
OP
AirIck

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried if that. I moved it per your advice. I have it in the sand bed, in order to keep it in place some sand is touching the bottom. I’m assuming that will kill off the flesh there but will it advance up through the entire coral? I couldn’t get it to stick to rock so I just have it on the plug covered in sand to hold in place
I couldn’t get it to stick to rock, so I buried the plug with sand to hold in place. Some sand is touching the bottom, I’m assuming those bits will die off but will the death at the bottom cause the whole thing to die off? Sorry for the blues I can’t find my dang lens!

Attachments

• 06EBDE0B-B7C7-4388-8EF5-DAFD500388D5.jpeg
    06EBDE0B-B7C7-4388-8EF5-DAFD500388D5.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 83

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photosynthetic gorgs need very high flow (almost-tipping-them-over flow!) to remove their waxy film and for full polyp extension. I would find a spot high up on your rockwork for the most PAR and close to a power head for the flow. Beautiful specimen by they way!!

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around fifteen gorgs in one of my tanks. Some like to be blasted with flow while others prefer a more gentle current. To get an idea about flow, go to You Tube and key in Caribbean gorgonians. Go to the video showing a patch of gorgs in nature. You will see that most will bend over but return to upright with ebb and flow of current. I lost a perfect, new gorg by placing it in too strong of flow.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around fifteen gorgs in one of my tanks. Some like to be blasted with flow while others prefer a more gentle current. To get an idea about flow, go to You Tube and key in Caribbean gorgonians. Go to the video showing a patch of gorgs in nature. You will see that most will bend over but return to upright with ebb and flow of current. I lost a perfect, new gorg by placing it in too strong of flow.
So how does one know which gorgoninan like which flow rate? Should we go by if the polyps are out?

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gorgeous piece. Amazing quality. Which one is it on their site?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how does one know which gorgoninan like which flow rate? Should we go by if the polyps are out?
I have found that gorgs with a rigid skeleton do not like strong flow. One time I got a big beautiful piece and put it in strong flow and it disintegrated in one day. Later, I got a replacement of the same type, put it in low to moderate and is doing great. If the skeleton is flexible, then it can handle a stronger flow.
IMG_1287.jpg

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so a blueberry gorgonian is prob going to need more moderate flow?
So if the branches are swaying alot in the flow i need to slow down flow until they dont sway?
If the polyps dont open up in a certain flow rate, that means it doesnt like that flow?

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok- should i go by the amount of polyp extension to decide if it likes an area of flow in my tank?

Back