Gorgonians for beginners

I have several... sea whip, flat blade, corky's, sea plume and another one I don't remember the name. All of the photosynthetic are quite easy to keep. They light a lot of light and high flow. I broadcast a mix of powdered foods three days a week and are healthy and growing.

I think those who aren't successful do not have them in enough light and flow. They need the flow to keep algae off of them and most importantly, to capture food.
 
I have several... sea whip, flat blade, corky's, sea plume and another one I don't remember the name. All of the photosynthetic are quite easy to keep. They light a lot of light and high flow. I broadcast a mix of powdered foods three days a week and are healthy and growing.

I think those who aren't successful do not have them in enough light and flow. They need the flow to keep algae off of them and most importantly, to capture food.
I was going to ask if algae seems to be the main problem for them, or the reason they ultimately don't make it, but you think adequate flow resolves that issue. Hm. Makes sense. 👍
 
I agree flow is absolutely key with them! I have had one for 3 years now and it grows so freaking much I have had to trim it pretty extensively a couple times now.
 
These brown ones are the only ones I keep, and I have had some maybe 15 or more years. They grow like weeks and require no care.









But the pinks, reds, purple, yellow or any other color ones are not really photosynthetic and need to be fed and you can not feed one of those long time in a home aquarium unless you want to change water every few days.

There is one, I think it's called a slimer that is also hardy. It has kind of square sides instead of round.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new