Gorilla Crab from my Live Rock?

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have come in with the Tampa Bay live rock. Haven't seen him before now. And I only had small pieces to help seed the tank with bacteria and coralline so he must have been really small when he arrived.

thumbnail_IMG_2711.jpg

OP
OP
Sapo

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I should have focused on the question. :) I was making an assumption but wasn’t sure.

Is this a gorilla crab?

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you cant really see its claw tips which would be black if it was a gorilla crab, if you get it out and take a more clearer pic of it someone can probably identify it or even me if its one that i know of

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the advantage of having him in the sump?
They serve a purpose just not the one u want in ur closed home eco-system. Best left to do their work in isolation. Hence the sump. Or a source of live food for a predatory type display. Thumbs up or down up to u.

Brings me back…Many tanks ago, in a reef far, far away, I once did battle with a Gorilla Crab so large it was the size of a small tarantula!! So fierce, it Bent!! the metal kebab skewer used to end its predation. Upon its demise, great feast was had by all the reef inhabitants that day. Epic. A Saga for the centuries I tell ya. Ofc, This was before all the tech, phones and social media, but those who were there know, the Hitchhiker Horror of the GC!

reeferID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have come in with the Tampa Bay live rock. Haven't seen him before now. And I only had small pieces to help seed the tank with bacteria and coralline so he must have been really small when he arrived.

thumbnail_IMG_2711.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2711.jpg
I had 3 of them come in on TB rubble a few months ago. Lost a Blasto frag before I could remove them all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back