OP
Sapo

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a while to get everything together but it seems like going slow is preferable. Been out of this for twenty years and back then I was only doing FOWLR with a 110g at the end.

Gave me time to do a lot of reading on a wide range of topics. And when I thought I was done, that just led me down more rabbit holes and it never ends. I guess that's what makes this fun for us.

Almost done with my fishless cycle. Went with the Brightwell kit. Ammonia started between 1.5-2.0ppm on Saturday and has dropped to .25 today while Nitrite is up to .5ppm. I know the Nitrite isn't harmful to the tank but it does show progression. ;)

Assuming Ammonia is zero by this weekend and my Nitrates start rising, I plan to get a couple of clowns this weekend to keep things going. But I'll probably keep it pretty simple for a few months since we're going to be gone for a couple weeks on a trip in late Sept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sapo

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing underneath the tank behind the lip on the stand. I have the return pump split as it comes off the pump. Have a ball valve controlling the flow directly back up in case I need to adjust the flow. But mainly just to block the water and force it through the UV and the manifold.

The normal flow is to go through the UV and back to the return where the 1" pipe reduces down to the 3/4" return. After the initial tee, there is another tee where the water is split between the UV and the manifold.

I'm running the pump at 50% and it's showing me 340gph on the flow meter through the UV and back to the tank. But it only goes up to 450gph when I bump it to 100%

I assume the head pressure from the 11 90° elbows must be the primary culprit. Though I was curious why my rate didn't drop through the UV when I opened one of the 1/2" manifold valves and measured 210gph (manually) through the manifold. I hope there's not something in the way that 3/4" utility plug was designed that impedes the flow into it. I know it was designed to have an output barb used there.
IMG_2170(2).JPG

Also added a manifold b/c I plan on running my algae scrubber from one of the 1/2" barbs. Capped the other side of the 1" tee with a threaded cap in case I need that in the future.
IMG_2169(2).JPG

Thank god for unions! I had to take it apart numerous times and those make it so much easier.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing underneath the tank behind the lip on the stand. I have the return pump split as it comes off the pump. Have a ball valve controlling the flow directly back up in case I need to adjust the flow. But mainly just to block the water and force it through the UV and the manifold.

The normal flow is to go through the UV and back to the return where the 1" pipe reduces down to the 3/4" return. After the initial tee, there is another tee where the water is split between the UV and the manifold.

I'm running the pump at 50% and it's showing me 340gph on the flow meter through the UV and back to the tank. But it only goes up to 450gph when I bump it to 100%

I assume the head pressure from the 11 90° elbows must be the primary culprit. Though I was curious why my rate didn't drop through the UV when I opened one of the 1/2" manifold valves and measured 210gph (manually) through the manifold. I hope there's not something in the way that 3/4" utility plug was designed that impedes the flow into it. I know it was designed to have an output barb used there.
IMG_2170(2).JPG

Also added a manifold b/c I plan on running my algae scrubber from one of the 1/2" barbs. Capped the other side of the 1" tee with a threaded cap in case I need that in the future.
IMG_2169(2).JPG

Thank god for unions! I had to take it apart numerous times and those make it so much easier.
Plumbing looks great!

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a piece of plywood or something under your tank to help support it? the tank hanging over the edges of the stand like that kinda scare me.

Ilikefish83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a piece of plywood or something under your tank to help support it? the tank hanging over the edges of the stand like that kinda scare me.
I am very curious about this design as well. I want one so bad but am nervous about the tank overhang

OP
OP
Sapo

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a mat under the stand. But it’s designed so that only the bottom touches.

I’ve since put the sides on and it lines up perfectly with them. But it still doesn’t touch. Just doesn’t look like it’s hanging over the edge.

I’m waiting to put the front doors on it until I get everything configured. I got the algae scrubber installed this weekend. I need to install the DOS and tanks next.

I was gonna take pictures but ran outta time and now I’m outta town this week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back