Gorilla crab?

Zhugelaocunfu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my six line wrasse and green chromis MIA a month ago, and yesterday night I found this thing in my living rock, its a kick in my balls to get it out (no fish so I used the brute way:freshwater bathed the living rock for around 3-4 mintues).looks kinda like gorilla crab,this crab is around the same size my six line wrasse,and I found its claw is sharp,and has fur on legs so I thought he is bad guys?
Crab.jpg

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but the defining characters of bad crab vs good crab are point tips and/or black tips on the pincers. Alternatively if its not a mithrax ie emerald/ruby crab then in the sump it goes.

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla crabs can be deadly if they become large enough. Throw him in the sump or somewhere separate where he can survive but not bother your fish and coral

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dealt with a gorilla crab myself a couple days ago.. Ate my mushroom coral and got the sucker out as he was about to attack my urchin.

Xanthidae is a family of crabs known as gorilla crabs, mud crabs, pebble crabs or rubble crabs. The hairy/fur is usually a good way to tell. They are usually toxic to consume so don't feed it to anything. You can either have a fun pet in your sump or send it to Davey's locker.

OP
OP
Zhugelaocunfu

Zhugelaocunfu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla crabs can be deadly if they become large enough. Throw him in the sump or somewhere separate where he can survive but not bother your fish and coral
My tank does not have sump (its integrated with my display tank,I don't know how to mention that with English). I think it may comes out again if I tried to put it inside, and I am thinking another way to deal with it,actually my home is near the sea but I have the biodiversity concern.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank does not have sump (its integrated with my display tank,I don't know how to mention that with English). I think it may comes out again if I tried to put it inside, and I am thinking another way to deal with it,actually my home is near the sea but I have the biodiversity concern.
The ocean is an option IF it's native to the area where you live. I would avoid if it's not native to that area. I would also be on the lookout for more crabs in the tank. They are usually most active in the middle of the night, getting one of those red light flashlights may be a good idea to inspect at night time

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I think you mean it’s an all in one system.
Maybe another local fish store can take him or you can give to another fellow hobbyist? If you have no final choice and do take him to the sea you can give him a sword to kill other crabs

Attachments

• 27502232-7FCE-4892-A825-588B8CDFD5EB.jpeg
    27502232-7FCE-4892-A825-588B8CDFD5EB.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Zhugelaocunfu

Zhugelaocunfu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean is an option IF it's native to the area where you live. I would avoid if it's not native to that area. I would also be on the lookout for more crabs in the tank. They are usually most active in the middle of the night, getting one of those red light flashlights may be a good idea to inspect at night time
I think there shouldn't be any crabs left as I freshwatered bathed quite a while that I afraid I nuked the whole system inside the living rock.this is the only living rock in the display side of my tank,a few of others are in sump and I don't think the size allows any crab to hide.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back