Gorilla crabs… who else hates them?

mmorrison55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
1,852
Reaction score
1,545
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I finally caught this little SOB. I thought I had encased it 2 weeks ago in the Marco rock with epoxy, but I guess he had another egress. I had just added a few sand sifting starfish yesterday, and my wife saw two of them above the sand near a large live rock I had sitting on the sand bottom. when she looked closer, she could see this dang gorilla crab, had both of them in his grasp and was trying to pull them into his cave under the live rock.

Luckily he remained attached to the rock when I pulled it from the tank, so I was finally able to remove him. I should have taken a video or some pics because looking back it was kind of wild and interesting, but all I could concern myself with was trying to remove him. My fairy wrasse like to sleep under that rock, and I would have been heartbroken if the crab had 86’d the wrasse.

I was afraid he had killed the starfish, but luckily, they both scooched off and back under the sand.

So, do you guys treat these things as persona non grata like I do, or do you treat it like a circle of life situation and let things happen as they may?
 
Have you tried a glass bottle trap yet? I caught all of my gorilla crabs that way. Usually if I know their general location and the jar neck is close to that, I’ll catch them within the night.
I tried that for 2 nights in a row when it was a bit smaller, and had no luck.

So far these gorilla crabs have been the only downside to using live rock. Next time I buy and use live rock, I will be sure to check every crack and crevice with a flashlight before placing the rock in my display.

Ive caught three by catching them stuck to the rock that I could lift out
 
I found another crab. this one is not (yet) as hairy as the gorilla crab i just removed, so not certain this is a gorilla crab or some other more reef safe crab.

What do you guys think? Gorilla or not?

IMG_2382.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I found another crab. this one is not (yet) as hairy as the gorilla crab i just removed, so not certain this is a gorilla crab or some other more reef safe crab.

What do you guys think? Gorilla or not?

IMG_2382.jpeg
It's hard to see, but that doesn't look like a Gorilla crab to me. It may be a Pythos, Emerald or other crab that are much more reef safe than the dreaded Gorilla crabs. One thing to look for is very dark colored claw tips on the Gorillas. Gorilla crabs are said to have claws that look "chocolate dipped", so if you can see their claws it helps to identify them.
 
I finally caught this little SOB. I thought I had encased it 2 weeks ago in the Marco rock with epoxy, but I guess he had another egress. I had just added a few sand sifting starfish yesterday, and my wife saw two of them above the sand near a large live rock I had sitting on the sand bottom. when she looked closer, she could see this dang gorilla crab, had both of them in his grasp and was trying to pull them into his cave under the live rock.

Luckily he remained attached to the rock when I pulled it from the tank, so I was finally able to remove him. I should have taken a video or some pics because looking back it was kind of wild and interesting, but all I could concern myself with was trying to remove him. My fairy wrasse like to sleep under that rock, and I would have been heartbroken if the crab had 86’d the wrasse.

I was afraid he had killed the starfish, but luckily, they both scooched off and back under the sand.

So, do you guys treat these things as persona non grata like I do, or do you treat it like a circle of life situation and let things happen as they may?
I have at least 20. I put them in my refugium when I catch them. I tried a glass tipped next to their spot but my shrimp would steal the bait. I use long tweezers and usually get a claw or legs. I have caught about 6 this way though. They have been burrowing under rocks too. Idk how bad they are to have. It’s sps dominant. I looked over the rock before I put it in. Must’ve been in the holes deep in it. I ended up with pistol shrimp too. Tbs rock.
 
@Fish Fan

That was my thoughts. The one I recently got out, im fairly certain he was a gorilla crab, he was darker, tannish brown, and was extremely fuzzy looking. This one is more gray, and has a few “hairs” but doesn’t look the same as the other. But this one is a tad smaller so I just wasn’t sure if he’s hasn’t gotten as scary looking as the gorilla.

Im color blind so some colors blend together. My wife swears this one in the photo has black tipped claws like a stone crab and gorilla crabs have. This one just doesn’t look quite as menacing as the one I removed a few days ago.
 
I have at least 20. I put them in my refugium when I catch them. I tried a glass tipped next to their spot but my shrimp would steal the bait. I use long tweezers and usually get a claw or legs. I have caught about 6 this way though. They have been burrowing under rocks too. Idk how bad they are to have. It’s sps dominant. I looked over the rock before I put it in. Must’ve been in the holes deep in it. I ended up with pistol shrimp too. Tbs rock.
Were they Tiny when you caught them with tweezers? These dang little things are fast, and I can’t get near them with tweezers.

Im trying the shrimp in the bottle trick, but a shrimp in a glass didn’t work the last time I tried to catch some crabs a few weeks ago.

So far, ive only been able to catch them when they move from the main rockscape and move to a smaller live rock that I can easily remove with them attached.
 
I have at least 20. I put them in my refugium when I catch them. I tried a glass tipped next to their spot but my shrimp would steal the bait. I use long tweezers and usually get a claw or legs. I have caught about 6 this way though. They have been burrowing under rocks too. Idk how bad they are to have. It’s sps dominant. I looked over the rock before I put it in. Must’ve been in the holes deep in it. I ended up with pistol shrimp too. Tbs rock.
Were they Tiny when you caught them with tweezers? These dang little things are fast, and I can’t get near them with tweezers.

Im trying the shrimp in the bottle trick, but a shrimp in a glass didn’t work the last time I tried to catch some crabs a few weeks ago.

So far, ive only been able to catch them when they move from the main rockscape and move to a smaller live rock that I can easily remove with them attached.
They were pretty small. Probably 3/4” max. I move real slow after I have fed the fish. They are definitely fast. They hang on to the rocks so hard when you get them. I squeeze the tweezers so tight I thought it would squish them. But they seem fine once caught. I’ve tried to poke them to death but that doesn’t work either. I’ll have to try a bottle trap. I have way too many.
 
They were pretty small. Probably 3/4” max. I move real slow after I have fed the fish. They are definitely fast. They hang on to the rocks so hard when you get them. I squeeze the tweezers so tight I thought it would squish them. But they seem fine once caught. I’ve tried to poke them to death but that doesn’t work either. I’ll have to try a bottle trap. I have way too many.
I guess I don’t feel so bad only having 1 (that I know of). But I want it gone regardless.
 
I think my mantis got my gorilla crab but I did remove the stone crab after it got about 5 snails and two conchs

I ended up crushing it up and feeding it to the fish for dinner. Felt bad but at least it didn’t get flushed. It served a purpose

I’m left with two mantis now.
 
I had a few come in on my KP Aquatic rock I was supplementing my reef with a couple years ago. 7 red mitrax went into the display and refugium. 2 unknown gorilla type and 1 decorator. Decorator went into the refugium also. Unknown crabs went into the overflow box which I keep rubble in for a cryptic zone.

One of the unknown gorilla type crabs migrated to the sump through the overflow plumbing. The other one, which was smaller at the time, made it up the plumbing then up and over my the top of the tank making its way into the display. One is female for sure as I see it with eggs often. This is the larger of the group that lives in the sump. Display lad is actually smaller. I thought it was dead now a few times but it is always a molt.

My system is 210 gallons and I am of the opinion I am not going to waste energy on them. They are where they are and doing fine. I am not loosing any fish or corals so the way I treat it is out of sight out of mind. I put them in an out of place spot or so I thought and they found a way to move. More power to them.

Here is the female. Loves hanging out on this reactor pump.
1756219236986.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new