Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

memoal23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi budys im thinking on getting a maxima clam i never had one before, will it survive with t5 lights ?i have 2 blue actenics 10k 2 white 12k , its a 55 gallon tank , currently in tank yellow tang, Marrone clownfish ,clean up crew just hermits, corals candy cane , xenia , torches, polyps , just whanted to hear u guys experience with maxima clam thanks in advanced

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Yellow Coris pick on clams? Mine seems to be hovering near the clam a lot lately. The clam is retreating every time the Coris shadow goes over. This is a new development. It has been well over a year with no issues.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skinz78 - Thanks for adding this thread! I have had a blue squamosa for roughly 3 years now and he has always done very good. I relocated to TN from MI about 6 months ago, lost all my SPS due to a few things, move related... Well this sent me into a reefer comatose, as I like to call it lol, and I got very lazy with my tank, I wasn't dosing, doing water changes, nothing, for roughly 4 months. The glass was disgusting, couldn't really even see my corals or fish, I just fed the fish daily and added top off. I guess it was late November when I woke up one day and was like what am I doing! I started doing smaller water changes every 5 days or so, checked parameters and my Alk had dropped to around 5!! Which was odd, because my PH was holding at 7.8-8.1 throughout the day (Apex), I mean I knew it had been dropping because of the lack of maintenance and dosing, but assumed it was still in the safe range. Nothing really looked too bad at that point, except a wall hammer, some duncans and my squamosa clam.

So December and January pass and everything is on the rebound, tank has finally turned the corner and is improving daily. Which leads to my question, the squamosa lost most of its vibrant blue color during this period and really only shows decent color along the mantle and spout, he is a dull brown during peak hours of my lighting schedule. Will he eventually regain his dark, vibrant blues? He doesn't show any signs of stress, mouth isn't gaping, he still has full mantle extension, as he did before and he has grown, only the loss of color. I assume this loss of color was due to the alk drop, which is why I mentioned what had happened so maybe you can diagnose it / confirm it for me. Thank you for your time!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have a clam in my 40g I'm planning right now. I'll probably have it up and running a year before I add lights for corals. It will be fowlr until then. How difficult are they? I've had a 12g nano for 5 years so I know a lot about keeping things stable. At the same time, I don't ever want to get an animal I can't take care of. Other than light and good parameters, what else is involved in keeping a clam happy?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have a clam in my 40g I'm planning right now. I'll probably have it up and running a year before I add lights for corals. It will be fowlr until then. How difficult are they? I've had a 12g nano for 5 years so I know a lot about keeping things stable. At the same time, I don't ever want to get an animal I can't take care of. Other than light and good parameters, what else is involved in keeping a clam happy?

Lighting is also critical. I would buy a book on clams. You can get used books on Amazon. When ready these people can help you as well. http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Clams-for-Sale-Maxima-Crocea-Squamosa-Deresa-Prodlist.html

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skinz78 - are you still active? If not, any other clam experts able to answer my question? I posted a few days ago, scroll up a few :) Thanks!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skinz78 - Thanks for adding this thread! I have had a blue squamosa for roughly 3 years now and he has always done very good. I relocated to TN from MI about 6 months ago, lost all my SPS due to a few things, move related... Well this sent me into a reefer comatose, as I like to call it lol, and I got very lazy with my tank, I wasn't dosing, doing water changes, nothing, for roughly 4 months. The glass was disgusting, couldn't really even see my corals or fish, I just fed the fish daily and added top off. I guess it was late November when I woke up one day and was like what am I doing! I started doing smaller water changes every 5 days or so, checked parameters and my Alk had dropped to around 5!! Which was odd, because my PH was holding at 7.8-8.1 throughout the day (Apex), I mean I knew it had been dropping because of the lack of maintenance and dosing, but assumed it was still in the safe range. Nothing really looked too bad at that point, except a wall hammer, some duncans and my squamosa clam.

So December and January pass and everything is on the rebound, tank has finally turned the corner and is improving daily. Which leads to my question, the squamosa lost most of its vibrant blue color during this period and really only shows decent color along the mantle and spout, he is a dull brown during peak hours of my lighting schedule. Will he eventually regain his dark, vibrant blues? He doesn't show any signs of stress, mouth isn't gaping, he still has full mantle extension, as he did before and he has grown, only the loss of color. I assume this loss of color was due to the alk drop, which is why I mentioned what had happened so maybe you can diagnose it / confirm it for me. Thank you for your time!

Yes I can Confirm that when alk. drops out of range it will have a negative affect on clams, SPS and other inverts. 8-9dkh seems to be a happy median overall. General range 7-12dkh .

Reeflogic