Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

  • Thread starter Thread starter skinz78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Hello Im new to having a clam and I noticed an issue and im not entirely sure what is going on. My new derasa clam has been in my tank for about 48 at this point and ive noticed since the first time it opened it does not have the same mantle extention on one end of the shell as the other. Im just wondering if this is somthing i should start worrying about or if its still just getting used to the new environment. It seems happy otherwise and is very reactive to light and fish swimming around it. Thanks in advanced for you time.
1000006272.jpg
1000006273.jpg
1000006274.jpg
It could be from flow, lighting or a number of things. If it’s only been a couple days, just let it settle in Ana it will move to a preferred spot.
 
IMG_2205.jpeg
I got this maxima clam early June, it was about 1 1/2”. Every couple of days I have to pick it off the sand and place it back into its cradle. The culprits are the urchin and turbo snails. Why hasn’t it attached it’s foot yet? It’s sitting in about 360 par.
Are we sure that blenny isn’t bothering the clam, they’re not exactly 100% clam safe? If the clam is moving, then it’s not happy in that spot or something is bothering it. Do you have another spot up high where it would be more secure?
 
Are we sure that blenny isn’t bothering the clam, they’re not exactly 100% clam safe? If the clam is moving, then it’s not happy in that spot or something is bothering it. Do you have another spot up high where it would be more secure?
No the blenny is rarely there, I thought it was a good picture. I’ve seen the large pincushion urchin lift it multiple times as well as a large turbo snail with it until lights out and then the next morning it’s on the sand.
 
A few days ago I got a small Crocea from Biota, maybe 1.5''. First I put it on a rock with lots of crevices so it can dig in. It wasn't into it, jumped off. I found a flat rock for it and it's been on it for 4 days, so hopefully it's liking it. I'll take a photo tomorrow to show it off. So far I have the rock on the sandbed to acclimate to lights. How long before it's safe to start moving it up? Give it a week or so at the lower level?

Also with clams this small, some (many?) claim lighting won't be enough to sustain it. Others argue it's not the case. Do they need special feedings?
 
No the blenny is rarely there, I thought it was a good picture. I’ve seen the large pincushion urchin lift it multiple times as well as a large turbo snail with it until lights out and then the next morning it’s on the sand.
Gotcha. Tuxedo urchins are my preferred urchin of choice, as they don’t get too big, but like others, still move stuff around.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new