Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no growth edge on it. That is my question if it will resume the growth provided the right conditions.The main light is a plasma 290 W.Today he looks like this.
4ED7241B-F114-4831-BA5D-400189931DBA.jpeg
Yes, if conditions are right and it hasn’t suffered from the lack of light, it should resume normal growth.

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my glass and looked up from under my clam and noticed this tiny hole. Hole is in the first photo.
IMG_4642.jpeg

It seems fine. Anything I should be worried about? I’m hoping something just took a bite. IMG_4643.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be from a number of things, but I would be concerned about the lack of growth on the shell, especially on that size of derasa. There should be a pretty good growth rim on the upper margins of the shell. Otherwise, the clam looks healthy mantle-wise.

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be from a number of things, but I would be concerned about the lack of growth on the shell, especially on that size of derasa. There should be a pretty good growth rim on the upper margins of the shell. Otherwise, the clam looks healthy mantle-wise.

Thank you. Yeah, I have noticed the lack of growth. When I got it over a year ago I got a ton of growth. Lighting, parameters and inhabitants have been consistent. The only change is my clown has been hosting the clam for the past few months. When it started I researched and saw that it wasn’t an issue for others, so I never thought anything of it.

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the jelly like substance near the foot is?
IMG_0450.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks normal to me, it's just part of the byssal organ/tissue. They will excrete a mild acid from that area in order to "bore" into hard substrate/rock. The byssal threads keep them in place, then the surrounding tissue will slowly "melt" away the solid rock, creating a divot, which the clam uses to help protect the vulnerable underside.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back