Got a hitchhiker or unknown critter?? Check here for an ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be on my sandbed? Just as a rule of thumb for sponges since we don't know what kind it is.

Here's a better photo, I went ahead and put it in QT.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463178133.334226.jpg

There is also a weird red thing next to it on the left.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that this is the "inside" of a larger rock none of these will need light. So setting it on the sand will be fine. Sponges often wax and wane in our tanks based of nutrient lvls so I wouldn't worry too much. Red dude also looks to be a type of sponge from the pick.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my macro is going pale, but it's not the kind that goes sexual. Then I noticed these on there.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463413540.825911.jpg

They're some sort of white things growing on the plant. Here's a close picture of some on a nearby rock.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463413602.137666.jpg

What are these things?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have a really embarrassing question, and I'm not entirely sure where to put it so I'm hoping someone will see it here. I just received my bottle of aiptasia x, and it didn't occur to me until now that there is a refill and a kit. Actually I didn't even have the slightest idea that there is a kit. So, my question being this, is there a way I can use a normal syringe to administer the death liquid, or do I need to buck up, return it and buy the actual kit? I really hate returning online items.....

Oh and I'm giving Roboson a bump at the same time.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my macro is going pale, but it's not the kind that goes sexual. Then I noticed these on there.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463413540.825911.jpg

They're some sort of white things growing on the plant. Here's a close picture of some on a nearby rock.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463413602.137666.jpg

What are these things?

Might be Hydroids, not quite sure not enough detail.

Okay I have a really embarrassing question, and I'm not entirely sure where to put it so I'm hoping someone will see it here. I just received my bottle of aiptasia x, and it didn't occur to me until now that there is a refill and a kit. Actually I didn't even have the slightest idea that there is a kit. So, my question being this, is there a way I can use a normal syringe to administer the death liquid, or do I need to buck up, return it and buy the actual kit? I really hate returning online items.....

Oh and I'm giving Roboson a bump at the same time.

You can use a normal syringe and if you do not have one or the syringe is too large go to your local pharmacy and ask for an insulin syringe. Just tell the pharmacy what you want it for and they are usually fine with it.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is too large? I have a bunch of 1cc and a 3cc, I think all of those are too small but I don't know.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They remind me of hydroids, they're just smaller than the yellow kind so I wanted to get a second opinion. Any advice of mini-hydroid removal anyone?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what is the best way to remove pests from liverock without killing them or the good things on the rock.

Reactions: Wiz

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this is totally awesome! I just found three of these guys and although I am 98% positive that they are predatory isopods (ok I know that's bad but that's not what is awesome) I decided to stick one under the microscope to be certain. I haven't gotten this ancient contraption out in so long I forgot how fun it was. Anyways so I had the brilliant idea to try and take a picture of it while under the scope and it actually worked! Even though this little bug, which is literally no bigger than a pen head, is bad news for my tank I still find it infinitely fascinating to see one under the microscope. And it was still alive too so I could see its organs? and tail moving! image.jpeg image.jpeg
And one more picture. IMG_1257.JPG

Last edited:

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Pistol.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a lucky find. Pistol shrimp are as cool as (but not as deadly as) mantis shrimp.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a lucky find. Pistol shrimp are as cool as (but not as deadly as) mantis shrimp.
He's an awesome little dude, it was actually the larger of two shrimp that were in my sock today. And what's even weirder than that is before I cleaned the sock I was still hearing multiple clicks, some exceedingly loud, in my tank. :eek:
I spotted one of the shrimp in my tank several days ago. It was hiding underneath a pink sponge thing and would slowly creep out, snap his claw and then dart back in the cubby hole. It had a very interesting green tint to it. Wish I had gotten a picture of that one.....

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pics. That last one is sweet. And yep they appear to be bad :-(
Okay this is totally awesome! I just found three of these guys and although I am 98% positive that they are predatory isopods (ok I know that's bad but that's not what is awesome) I decided to stick one under the microscope to be certain. I haven't gotten this ancient contraption out in so long I forgot how fun it was. Anyways so I had the brilliant idea to try and take a picture of it while under the scope and it actually worked! Even though this little bug, which is literally no bigger than a pen head, is bad news for my tank I still find it infinitely fascinating to see one under the microscope. And it was still alive too so I could see its organs? and tail moving! image.jpeg image.jpeg
And one more picture. IMG_1257.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back