Got a new coral, not looking great at the moment, any tips for this tank?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this tank set up and running for a few weeks now, I used the old bio balls from my previous tank and added this new aquascape. I bought this nice torch coral yesterday and it was much better looking, full and open at the store. But now in my tank it is not looking so nice. I plan on testing all my parameters tomorrow so I don't know how they are currently, but everything else is looking okay.
Any tips? here are a few pics

IMG_7502.jpeg IMG_7503.jpeg IMG_7504.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obviously knowing your parameters would be helpful.

That said that coral is looking pretty bad/near polyp bailout in my opinion/experience.

If the depression in the sand is any indicator I would worry that it is just getting BLASTED with flow.

Without more info that’s really all I got.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I second the flow being too strong. I would move that frag rack to the other side of the tank under the powerhead. Torches like a gentle flow, not blasted. Also, get a reading on water parameters asap

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others. Try a lower flow or move the frag in the tank where the flow is lower. It would also help to understand your water parameters.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And remember, it may take a few days to acclimate and be happy in a new tank. And yes, that receded flesh does not happen in one day

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this tank set up and running for a few weeks now, I used the old bio balls from my previous tank and added this new aquascape. I bought this nice torch coral yesterday and it was much better looking, full and open at the store. But now in my tank it is not looking so nice. I plan on testing all my parameters tomorrow so I don't know how they are currently, but everything else is looking okay.
Any tips? here are a few pics

IMG_7502.jpeg IMG_7503.jpeg IMG_7504.jpeg
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it! So I just moved the powerhead to be above the frag rack so the flow isn't directly on the torch. I measured most of my parameters besides alkalinity, I don’t have a battery for my Hannah checker, so I’ll check that tomorrow.

Here are the results for the others:
Nitrate: 3ppm - hannah
Phosphate: .07 - hannah
Calcium: 487 - hannah
Magnesium: 1200 - Red Sea test kit.
Salinity: 1.026

Obviously I need to get my mag up. Looks like less flow definitely is helping already. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully within the next few days it will open up since it’s new to the system. Here are some new pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7505.jpeg
    IMG_7505.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7506.jpeg
    IMG_7506.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 25

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry if this sounds worrying, however something that came to my mind was that you changed the flow pattern in the tank because 1 coral wasn’t doing well. Why not just move the frag rack under where the wave maker was before hand? If everything else is healthy I don’t see how adjusting the flow placement is a better option than adjusting coral placement? Sorry if this sounded harsh, I’m more interested in what others have to say about this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back