Got Genesis Renew auto-waterchange for Christmas from my wife.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow addicts! This is my first post on R2R, so what's up everyone?

I felt compelled to share the results of the first full week with my Genesis water change system.

It essentially meters 1G of water to exchange with an automated process. I have a mixed reef, dominant SPS, Red Sea 525XL which is 110G display, 30G sump and I run a 20G refugium with chaeto and mangroves. I dose 20mL of Red Sea Reef energy every morning when my Kessil AP700s wake up. I turn off the return for 45 minutes and also feed the fish. I'll feed flakes in afternoon and some mysis at night. Coral gets fed 2-3x week with Reef Roids, Reef Chili, Oyster feast.

I run in addition to the copepod factory refugium, a BRS GFO reactor and carbon and also run biopellets in a modified Phosban 150. Air to skimmer from inside refugium enclosure - which is located outside. I use dosing pumps because I believe they are more precise and reliable than calcium reactors. I dose 130mL of Red Sea Alk daily and 30mL of calcium. Alk is dead steady at 9.0, Ca is 450, Mg 1350, Na .05, phosphates .02, 1.025 and 7.9-8.1 pH at 78 degrees. Red Sea salt. Everything run by an Apex.

My tank has had exceptional success since I started it eight months ago but it was never AMAZING. I am a maniac when it comes to perfection. I'm a math nerd and fully understand the physics and biology of a mixed reef.

Nothing. I repeat NOTHING has shown the improvements I've seen in the past several days using this automated changer.

Day one of install, I performed a 30G water change which is 20%. I typically do 15G weekly (10%) and am religious about it. I programmed the Genesis to perform 2G/daily or 1G every 12 hours. This is my observation after seven days.

1. Best polyp extension ever day and night. Strawberry shortcake is finally fuzzy.
2. LPS are chubbier and stay chubby longer. Scolymia, trachyphyllia and acan lords all fat as ever.
3. No sign of brown detritus in lower flow area of tank. I used to have to stir up one small area every other day. Sand is all white all the time now.
4. No film on glass at all. Scraped it once this week and only on the side that faces the huge exterior window in our living room.
5. I haven't lifted ANY buckets or spilled ANY water on my floor since last year. 8)

So... other than learning my wife is more awesome than ever, I learned this Genesis system is perhaps the single best purchase you can make. If used enough, one could perhaps forgo any of the other reactors and maybe even a skimmer.

Hope you guys got something out of this info. Happy reefing! The reef shots are six months apart. I'm a couple months beyond that now. Frags growing in nicely.

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_8968.JPG

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is absolutely beautiful.

Did you have trouble setting it up? I bought one when they first came out and I tell you, I almost threw the thing out the window. The first version of the instructions for setup were impossible to figure out. They are much improved.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Welcome![emoji3] We are glad to have you here with us. You have a beautiful system. Thanks for sharing the details and some results from the Genesis. Definitely seems like a great buy.

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is absolutely beautiful.

Did you have trouble setting it up? I bought one when they first came out and I tell you, I almost threw the thing out the window. The first version of the instructions for setup were impossible to figure out. They are much improved.

Thank you for the kind words. It's like complimenting my children... 8)

The only trouble I had setting it up was I didn't use return pumps that were powerful enough to get the replacement water up four feet through 1/2" hose. Once I picked up a couple $30 pumps, it worked like a charm.

I'd say it isn't more difficult than setting up a GFO reactor. At least the instructions are native English and not Chinese to English...

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add that the whole water change process is plumbed through the outdoor refugium. Any leaks or accidents will be isolated. It also keep the refugium clean as it purges the loose detritus twice a day and I think it's pushing copepods into the sump as I'm seeing more in the display tank as well. My big FAT Mandarin is stoked.

Some scoly action too.

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa. What a little piggy!!!

The first time I tried to hook mine up, I walked away and left it for months. When I went back to it and downloaded the newest instructions, they were labeled. Winner!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automatic water changes help keep a tank stable. Doing small water changes everyday consistently really does make a difference.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cuz it's semi-related: A Water Change A Day...

Just to be a pain:
I'm a math nerd and fully understand the physics and biology of a mixed reef.

This cold be the biggest claim I've ever seen anyone make - ever. How long did it take you to fully understand the physics and biology of a mixed reef? :D :p

In seriousness:

Beautiful tank and very nice setup! That's one fat mandarin!!!

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to be a pain:

This cold be the biggest claim I've ever seen anyone make - ever. How long did it take you to fully understand the physics and biology of a mixed reef? :D :p

In seriousness:

Actually... you got me. I don't actually know anything... but I swear I've read everything there is to read and I'm Asian, so maybe I do know everything about the science 8)

I just can't believe I tried everything and it came down to pulling a gallon out every 12 hours...

Thanks for the kind words about the tank. And totally Feel free to insult me as much as you'd like!

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to be a pain:

In seriousness:

Mcarroll

Thank you for digging up this old thread about daily changes. I guess I haven't read EVERYTHING. Some great info there.

Looking forward to expending my knowledge here with you guys!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't believe I tried everything and it came down to pulling a gallon out every 12 hours...

I was doing the lugging Neandethal-style on that other thread, so no comparison there.....but I was equally impressed with the results from daily 5% water changes. All corals seemed to brighten up and perk up just like you described.

And the outdoor sump – never seen one! Very cool idea. :)

Any idea if it helps or hurts with system heating/cooling/consistency?
Clearly it works – do you do anything special to prevent or minimize pollution entering the system?

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing the lugging Neandethal-style on that other thread, so no comparison there.....but I was equally impressed with the results from daily 5% water changes. All corals seemed to brighten up and perk up just like you described.

And the outdoor sump – never seen one! Very cool idea. :)

Any idea if it helps or hurts with system heating/cooling/consistency?
Clearly it works – do you do anything special to prevent or minimize pollution entering the system?

Thanks! Only the refugium is outside. I live in Los Angeles and I insulated it a bit and I run the skimmer intake into the refugium chamber because the chaeto/mangroves are releasing oxygen. My pH is still lower than I want, but I'm not going there.. Plus I run two 6500K power compacts because I like my chaeto thick, so it keeps it warm at night (I run reverse photo schedule from display tank from 10PM to 10AM.

Here's the sump. I know.. skimmer is nasty, Cleaning it now...

IMG_1344.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing this!

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow tank looks great. Btw doing daily water changes... How does that effect dosing?
Funny you should ask. I literally just tested and I rarely test. Alk is dead solid still, but my Ca was at 475, which is a bit high for my ideal, so I'm bringing my Ca dose down to 20mL/day for a bit and see if it mellows out.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back