Got my first DSLR today... Nikon D40

o0xerog0o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met up with Misled today and bought his 2yr old Nikon D40 from him. It came with a 55-200 lens, as well as an 18-55 lens. I've taken a little over 100 shots in the last few hours trying to get it all figured out, and here are a few shots that I felt pretty proud of.

The only modifications done to the photos was a resize and auto levels in Photoshop. Let me know what you think!

dsc6694.jpg

dsc6771.jpg

dsc6782.jpg

dsc6728.jpg

dsc6737.jpg

dsc6750.jpg

dsc6758.jpg

It may be obvious to some of you veterans out there, but these were just freehand shots, no tripod or anything of the sort...

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not your first attempts with a DSLR are they? Admit it! :wink:

OP
OP
o0xerog0o

o0xerog0o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not your first attempts with a DSLR are they? Admit it! :wink:

Haha, I'll take that as a compliment! Ok ok, I'll admit it... I did use a D80 for about 5 minutes in our local Circuit City before they went under. You caught me! :crossedlips:

Misled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Mark. I'm impressed!!!! The tank shots, which is where the tripod will help the most are very good also. I'm glad you're happy. You'll find out soon it can be an expensive of a hobby as a reef tank. Or 20 reef tanks!!!!!

P.S. The wife said bring her the dog next time you come out!!!!!

OP
OP
o0xerog0o

o0xerog0o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments everyone! I was really surprised with how user friendly the D40 was for my first time. I'm really happy with my purchase.

Tomasz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are great looking shots for a first time owner. What were you using before this camera?

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you ever used the d60? only asking because i am on the fence between buying a d40 and d60 but was leaning toward the d60. was wondering if this one is more user friendly? great pics by the way.

OP
OP
o0xerog0o

o0xerog0o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used P&S cameras before. My wife has a Samsung BL103 (Black Friday Special at W/M W00T!) That's the latest one I've been using, and I knew it wasn't going to be long before I got a DSLR, so I didn't get too into it...

And no, I've never used the D60 before, so I can't tell you which one would be better from personal experience, but I did a lot of reading on dpreview.com and watched a bunch of videos on YouTube about the D40 before making my decision. I orginally was looking for a D80, but when this one came up, and the price was in my budget, I couldn't pass it up.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back