Got My Platygyra and Acanthophyllia Corals Today!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha really? How has your experience been so far? I actually got a job offer last month to Thailand didnt accept yet though still considering.
Well I've been here for a while so I know the ins and outs pretty well by now...PM me...a little busy ATM...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahhh...just as many downsides as upsides. People think they're gonna come here and live the good and easy life all the time...it doesn't work like that:(
My mother is Thai, she was born in Nakhon Phanom (NKP). Long story, but from her point of view, if you know the language and have family there. It is easy living. As an outsider.... It's a much harder life. But, I lost contact with her in 2012. A very long story.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mother is Thai, she was born in Nakhon Phanom (NKP). Long story, but from her point of view, if you know the language and have family there. It is easy living. As an outsider.... It's a much harder life. But, I lost contact with her in 2012. A very long story.
I'm actually living in Nakhon Pathom! It's on the border between Nakhon Pathom and BKK but since nobody knows where Nakhon Pathom is, I say BKK. Yes, a a "farang" (foreigner in Thai) you will be seen and referred to as a farang always. Regardless of whether or not you know the language or anything else. It's not a slur or anything like and they don't mean it negatively when they call you a farang but you won't forget that you're not Thai. I wouldn't say it a harder life since there are some good job opportunities open to farangs which make good money but those jobs are very limited. Unless you have a college degree or connections, you're primary job opportunities are restricted to teaching English (usually to children). Without a Masters degree or above that's about the extent of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just got these two pieces today and love them both! Honestly the Platygyra is even more beautiful than it was in the picture the vendor advertised. Instead of mint green it's much more electric green and maroon in person! It almost immediately extended it's tentacles even with the lights on to feed after being added several hours ago. As for the Acanthophyllia, I know it's a little bleached...the vendor told me that before buying it actually. It was actually in another guy's tank before he asked the vendor to sell it for him so I feel like his lighting was probably wrong and he may not have fed it either. It's responding well to food, however, and inflated to it's full size very quickly...it's about 5 inches across! I'm going to give it low light to help it recover and nightly feedings. Here are a few pics:
P6060027_1.JPG P6060026_1.JPG P6060024_1.JPG P6060025_1.JPG P6060022_1.JPG P6060021_1.JPG
Nice specimens and size

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice specimens and size
Thanks! The Platygyra is far more beautiful in person than the vendors pic actually! Instead of mint green, it's actually neon green that almost glows and maroon! The Acanthophyllia is about 5 inches across and seems to be slowly recovering from his bleaching too!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm actually living in Nakhon Pathom! It's on the border between Nakhon Pathom and BKK but since nobody knows where Nakhon Pathom is, I say BKK. Yes, a a "farang" (foreigner in Thai) you will be seen and referred to as a farang always. Regardless of whether or not you know the language or anything else. It's not a slur or anything like and they don't mean it negatively when they call you a farang but you won't forget that you're not Thai. I wouldn't say it a harder life since there are some good job opportunities open to farangs which make good money but those jobs are very limited. Unless you have a college degree or connections, you're primary job opportunities are restricted to teaching English (usually to children). Without a Masters degree or above that's about the extent of it.
It gets complicated. You said it better than I can.

Thanks! The Platygyra is far more beautiful in person than the vendors pic actually! Instead of mint green, it's actually neon green that almost glows and maroon! The Acanthophyllia is about 5 inches across and seems to be slowly recovering from his bleaching too!
The recovery part does take time. As more recovery takes place, the faster it will progress. I have been there with a bleached trachyphyllia before.

Sounds like the piece is happy with you!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets complicated. You said it better than I can.

The recovery part does take time. As more recovery takes place, the faster it will progress. I have been there with a bleached trachyphyllia before.

Sounds like the piece is happy with you!
I sure hope so! It's nicely inflated and responds to changes in flow and feeding well. I'm not sure if it's eating much at this point but that's likely because it's not used to being fed. From my experience, some corals take a little longer to get used to actually eating the food when spotfed. It does show a definite positive response to sensing food though!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, side note but my giant Porites with the Christmas Tree Worms has been having amazing polyp extension lately!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sure hope so! It's nicely inflated and responds to changes in flow and feeding well. I'm not sure if it's eating much at this point but that's likely because it's not used to being fed. From my experience, some corals take a little longer to get used to actually eating the food when spotfed. It does show a definite positive response to sensing food though!
That is something to think about, certain corals stop sending out feeding responses because it uses energy. And getting them to show a feeding response does take time. Acanthos, trachy, cynarina's are greedy feeders. There are many lps that are. You're on the right track!

Also, side note but my giant Porites with the Christmas Tree Worms has been having amazing polyp extension lately!
Glad you are enjoying them. They are such amazing creatures.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something to think about, certain corals stop sending out feeding responses because it uses energy. And getting them to show a feeding response does take time. Acanthos, trachy, cynarina's are greedy feeders. There are many lps that are. You're on the right track!

Glad you are enjoying them. They are such amazing creatures.
They truly are amazing! I've been fascinated with them since I saw them snorkeling and diving last year. I've wanted the big worms ever since and found this giant piece for a really good price. Usually the Porites doesn't do well which is why I'm very happy about it's PE!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They truly are amazing! I've been fascinated with them since I saw them snorkeling and diving last year. I've wanted the big worms ever since and found this giant piece for a really good price. Usually the Porites doesn't do well which is why I'm very happy about it's PE!
Porites do well with filter foods too. Another coral that likes elevated nutrients. Probably why the worms do so well with porites.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porites do well with filter foods too. Another coral that likes elevated nutrients. Probably why the worms do so well with porites.
Maybe! They're symbiotic relationship is actually mutualistic so both the coral and the worms benefit. I think all the small particulate foods I offer has really been helping it though. I've been doing very frequent water changes though to try to keep nutrients down to a reasonable level.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got your tank dialed in and figured out.

You got a couple of really nice dream pieces.
Thanks! This tank has actually become my favorite probably out of the 3. Each one is completely different so it's hard to compare but right now this one I can spend so much time just staring into in awe!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ok...i just turned the lights on so they withdrew. They'd come back out if I offered a little food but you can see a month in and the green is still prevalent in some spots. I think the green vs brown has to do with lighting and doesn't necessarily indicate health. @Kmst80 IMG_20230614_085700.jpg IMG_20230614_085634.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ok...i just turned the lights on so they withdrew. They'd come back out if I offered a little food but you can see a month in and the green is still prevalent in some spots. I think the green vs brown has to do with lighting and doesn't necessarily indicate health. @Kmst80 IMG_20230614_085700.jpg IMG_20230614_085634.jpg
Looks stunning. Mine had the green porites...I want to try get a porite frag one day and see if they grow back onto the rock
20220507_100217.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks stunning. Mine had the green porites...I want to try get a porite frag one day and see if they grow back onto the rock
20220507_100217.jpg
Nice! Mine started green as well but like I said I think that has to do with lighting...also higher phosphates may have darkened it down some

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back