got something new growing help please

watty89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a small 10 gal nano tank it has live rock and live sand with some dry base rock i have two fish a clown and a beauty angel with some small coral frags its been set up for almost 3 months now and have added everyhting slow and have developed some green film on my base rock but not my live rock wat is it and how do get rid of it

jformani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely you just need to increase your flow a little bit. are you using ro water?

OP
OP
W

watty89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i always use ro water and i have a maxi jet 400 installed so i dont think flow is the problem and my nitrates are at 0 and unsure of phospate my test kit ran out waiting on new one to come in but i will get pics posted and get my phospates trested but why would they have anything to do with my alge just curious

OP
OP
W

watty89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i looked into all that info about red slime alge and i dont think that is it it just doesnt have some of its syptoms and signs i bought two more hermot crabs and am thinking about some kind of small fish or invertabrte that might eat it just dont know what would be a good choice yet

OP
OP
W

watty89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its still growing and thriving after some serious water changes and a scrubbinh of my tank and rock upgraded protien skimmer and phosphate reactor and now my tank is developing a odor like its decaing idk wats going on in it

debben69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cure your base rock? I always cure my base/dry rock and don't add it until the phosphates read zero. That slime could be from phosphates being released from the rock. Out will eventually go away, up the flow and do some water changes on the morning before the lights come on as the phosphates are being used during the day.

OP
OP
W

watty89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its still here it got really bad covered everything gin my tank and i couldnt even keep the glass clean so i did two 75% water changes a week apart and before i took the water out i removed all of my rock and scrubed it i cleaned everything and sucked all of the stuff out of the tank and upped my skimmer and addded a carbon reactor with some phosphate sponge and the slime is still here but not growing very well its dieing off finally

debben69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try killing the lights for two days and make sure the tank gets absolutly no light. The algae with stop growing and release the phosphates so that the phosphate remover can pick it up. I had a huge outbreak in my 90g and I ran phosphate remover and killed the lights for the weekend. I came back on Sunday night to see it crystal clean.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back