ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PeterC99

You owe me a link to the h202 you buy on Amazon

BTW... ive been buying potassium nitrate in bulk, now h202. I fully expect to be on the FBI NSA Watchlist thruout 2022

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Iodid and moderate light and water flow is my tool. Zoas must have iodide, not iodine in their water They seem to do best in the lower half to third of the tank in an area of low-medium to medium-high flow. Too much flow may make it hard for the polyps to open. You will know your zoanthids are ‘happy’ if they open up and are fully extended without seeming to stretch so far upright.. The majority of zoanthids have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae (I dare you to try and say that three times quickly) and are therefore best kept with at least moderate aquarium lighting as mentioned for production of zooxanthele.
Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for water temperature about 78 F, salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity) and normal hardness 8-11 dKH) and a pH around 8.1-8.3.
However, if your polyps were previously open and have recently closed up, this should be taken as a serious sign of a water parameters issue. The first things I would check are ph and salinity. In my experience, zoas will close up if there are swings in salinity.
One disease that seems to disproportionately impacts these corals is something called zoa pox or zoanthid pox. Zoa pox is the name given to the zoanthid disease characterized by tiny growths on the side of the affected zoas. I’m not sure whether the growths/pustules themselves irritate the polyps and cause them to close up, or if the coral is otherwise sickly and closed up (therefore showing the zoa pox), but the bottom line is that if you see zoa pox, you have a sick coral.
Lastly, check for Super tiny spiders or nudibranchs which will take them down in No time. If you see these pests, start looking for eggs which are future pests to cause further problems.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried spot feeding? Zoas thrive with spot feeding in my experience. Not so much with broadcast feeding.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PeterC99

You owe me a link to the h202 you buy on Amazon

BTW... ive been buying potassium nitrate in bulk, now h202. I fully expect to be on the FBI NSA Watchlist thruout 2022
4CCA78F2-AAC1-49C7-B0A9-ECC2094AC461.png

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodid and moderate light and water flow is my tool. Zoas must have iodide, not iodine in their water They seem to do best in the lower half to third of the tank in an area of low-medium to medium-high flow. Too much flow may make it hard for the polyps to open. You will know your zoanthids are ‘happy’ if they open up and are fully extended without seeming to stretch so far upright.. The majority of zoanthids have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae (I dare you to try and say that three times quickly) and are therefore best kept with at least moderate aquarium lighting as mentioned for production of zooxanthele.
Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for water temperature about 78 F, salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity) and normal hardness 8-11 dKH) and a pH around 8.1-8.3.
However, if your polyps were previously open and have recently closed up, this should be taken as a serious sign of a water parameters issue. The first things I would check are ph and salinity. In my experience, zoas will close up if there are swings in salinity.
One disease that seems to disproportionately impacts these corals is something called zoa pox or zoanthid pox. Zoa pox is the name given to the zoanthid disease characterized by tiny growths on the side of the affected zoas. I’m not sure whether the growths/pustules themselves irritate the polyps and cause them to close up, or if the coral is otherwise sickly and closed up (therefore showing the zoa pox), but the bottom line is that if you see zoa pox, you have a sick coral.
Lastly, check for Super tiny spiders or nudibranchs which will take them down in No time. If you see these pests, start looking for eggs which are future pests to cause further problems.
I've been using SeaChem's Iodide to dose but maybe the the 2liter bottle is too old. The bottle well over a year old....

I'm thinking of switching to ESV Iodide. ESV stuff is usually pretty potent.

15yrs ago i took my first crack at dosing and I dosed a lil too much ESV Iodide and it kill a beautiful Moseleya coral, so I never went back. Too shy bc it was so potent

But now with iodide hungry zoas and the fact I have the knowledge about taking dosing very seriously.... ESV might work for me again

2516.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$99 for 4 gals! Holy shiitake mushrooms

How much of this stuff did you go thru a month?
I’ve only used one gallon since April. At this rate, the 4 gallon containers should last me 2 1/2 years. Small price to pay for happy Zoas!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been using SeaChem's Iodide to dose but maybe the the 2liter bottle is too old. The bottle well over a year old....

I'm thinking of switching to ESV Iodide. ESV stuff is usually pretty potent.

15yrs ago i took my first crack at dosing and I dosed a lil too much ESV Iodide and it kill a beautiful Moseleya coral, so I never went back. Too shy bc it was so potent

But now with iodide hungry zoas and the fact I have the knowledge about taking dosing very seriously.... ESV might work for me again

2516.jpg
My favorite is ME iodide which is concentrated

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mecoral.com
@vetteguy53081 Not seeing Iodide on their website . just this Iodine concentrate

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW. This thread is costing me dam fortune. Btwn oxydators and h2o2 jugs and God knows what else

black and white 90s GIF

My tank by Jan 2022

I love you guys....

Pray for me when i go to Bankruptcy Court to tell the Judge it all started bc my ZOAS WOULDNT OPEN

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Not seeing Iodide on their website . just this Iodine concentrate

@vetteguy53081 did you see my comment above?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of you know me. 6ft 180g zoa paly dominated tank. Blah blah blah.

You also may know for months now I have tried to figure out why 20% of my zoas have SHRUNK to tiny head discs.

I've been thru the ringer, tested every parameter, tested PAR, got flow where I want it, git no3 and po4 where I want it.

The shrunken zoa discs are showing signs of life... especially getting no3 around 10 and po4 btwn 0.1 to 0.2

CURRENT QUESTION IN MY HEAD

About the only thing I have left on the table is UNANSWERED is an unseen bacterial infection causing certain zoas (~20%) to show life but still stay shrunken and mostly closed

How would I know its a bacterial infection of some sort?

The majority of the shrunken dudes are GLUED hard into LR. Would take a chisel to remove them and dip them in some sorta antiseptic.

That whole process of removal and dipping would surely kill a good percentage of them. Urgh.

I have just a few that are on plugs 'freehand' to do whatever with..

I've taken them and done a quick h2o2 spray on them for maybe 1min. Trying to see if some sort if infection is running around my tank

I gave the h2o2 Enough time as to they were tightly closed but the h2o2 bubbled white foam on their stem skin.

I quickly cleaned them up and put back in tank and they STILL stay 90% closed up.

Thoughts?

* Thoughts on HOW to determine a bacterial infection?

* How to TREAT without running a broad-spectrum antibiotic killing a lot of good bacteria in my tank maintaining my no3 po4?

I am FRUSTRATED.....

THOUGHTS?

Had this same thing happen. My UV sterilizer straightened the issue out fast. I know it’s what’s keeping it down because every time it blows a bulb I have the same problem until I get the new bulb in.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this same thing happen. My UV sterilizer straightened the issue out fast. I know it’s what’s keeping it down because every time it blows a bulb I have the same problem until I get the new bulb in.
TBH .... I spend effort in brewing tetraselmis phyto and wouldn't it be counterproductive to dose phyto to then turn around and cook the phyto with 254nm UVC light?

This.... this has been a battle inside my head fir some time

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!

moving discussion over to this thread with pics:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Amen !!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back