Got the my Shadow starting to drill

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers

I sent out a message the other week about drilling my first aquarium and I'm all ready to go. I need to double check one think I have the temple that was provided and it states to move it all the way to the top of the aquarium. I have a 75G marineland that has the black trim and what I'm curious is if were suppose to leave anytype of space at the top. Reason that I'm asking is because I'm worried that if it butts up against the top the water level it will almost be touching the center brace of the aquarium and the last thing I need is to have the water flowing over top lol.

Any thoughts.

Mark

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers

I sent out a message the other week about drilling my first aquarium and I'm all ready to go. I need to double check one think I have the temple that was provided and it states to move it all the way to the top of the aquarium. I have a 75G marineland that has the black trim and what I'm curious is if were suppose to leave anytype of space at the top. Reason that I'm asking is because I'm worried that if it butts up against the top the water level it will almost be touching the center brace of the aquarium and the last thing I need is to have the water flowing over top lol.

Any thoughts.

Mark
The overflow has teeth that the water flows in between, right? So even if it butts up against the top the actual water level would be 1" to 2" lower. Hard to say for sure without knowing more about your setup.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have, Glass-Holes by any chance. You either butt it right up to the plastic or just a hair down. To double check, hold up the template and, using a Sharpie, trace the circle. Now hold up the overflow, centering the hole with the circle you drew. Hope this helps.

EDIT TO ADD:

Oops, just read the title and see you have the Shadow. Still do what I suggested above, if you have any doubt.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest bringing it down slightly from the trim. You don't want to have to fight getting your bulkhead nut from hitting the glass flush. In other words, not hitting the trim.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest bringing it down slightly from the trim. You don't want to have to fight getting your bulkhead nut from hitting the glass flush. In other words, not hitting the trim.

I don't believe it's the bulkhead nut or flange that's the issue. It is going to be the top of the overflow in relation to the plastic trim that could potentially be the issue. I'm not directly familiar with Shadow, but have to believe the template positions the hole so that all will fit. In addition, my experience is that the hole for the bulkhead has some wiggle room, so that you would be able to "tweek" the overflow down slightly if it was a tight fit. You're going to be fine by simply following the instructions from Shadow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back