Gph on powerhead

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how many gph my powerhead should push for my 35 gal cube tank. I’m planning on putting a couple sps at the top.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about what other flow you currently have in the tank, how the pumps will be situated, and the type of flow? 800gph through a maxijet nozzle is very different than through a gyre, so it's important to have a bit more detail beyond giving you some pretty large ranges.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 - 50x total, assuming your return flow is dialed in low, eg 700 -1500 with adjustability of +/- 250 or so at least.

OP
OP
saltysailor

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about what other flow you currently have in the tank, how the pumps will be situated, and the type of flow? 800gph through a maxijet nozzle is very different than through a gyre, so it's important to have a bit more detail beyond giving you some pretty large ranges.
It’s a Red Sea so return pump w random flow generator in the top left corner and then I was thinking about situating the power head back right corner going across? Idk could use help on that too.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice on placement :) - Don't get too attached to a single place just yet. Once you've added corals and rocks to the tank, you'll be moving that thing every 2 hours :)

OP
OP
saltysailor

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice on placement :) - Don't get too attached to a single place just yet. Once you've added corals and rocks to the tank, you'll be moving that thing every 2 hours :)
I would like the flexibility to do sps so need high flow. Don’t care about placement. Could use some recommendations for a nano powerhead.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao Ow-10 is amazing in my opinion. They have similar newer models which im sure are upgraded and better now, but man, this little thing kicks butt. I have 2 of them in my 120 for dead spots, and they are literally a little bigger then a golf ball, and push some serious flow and are extremely quite. 50 bucks on amazon, sometimes this one guy on ebay does 2 for 80.

Here is a video on youtube.

Amazon link

OP
OP
saltysailor

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao Ow-10 is amazing in my opinion. They have similar newer models which im sure are upgraded and better now, but man, this little thing kicks butt. I have 2 of them in my 120 for dead spots, and they are literally a little bigger then a golf ball, and push some serious flow and are extremely quite. 50 bucks on amazon, sometimes this one guy on ebay does 2 for 80.

Here is a video on youtube.

Amazon link

Thanks man appreciate it, works on sps?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man appreciate it, works on sps?
Yes it would work for SPS. Just aim the powerheads upwards giving their area the higher flow and the bottom with lower flow like most tanks. I don't know how many GPH your return pump is, but say its a small 400-600 gph pump, plus 2 jebao ow-10s, thats a max flow of around 2600gph, more then enough turnover, so you wouldnt even be running the pumps at max unless you wanted to.

OP
OP
saltysailor

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would work for SPS. Just aim the powerheads upwards giving their area the higher flow and the bottom with lower flow like most tanks. I don't know how many GPH your return pump is, but say its a small 400-600 gph pump, plus 2 jebao ow-10s, thats a max flow of around 2600gph, more then enough turnover, so you wouldnt even be running the pumps at max unless you wanted to.
Huge... thanks

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 of the previous generation (PP4) Jebao wave makers. One of them showed signs of the motor wearing after 2 years of operation out and finally died after cleaning. The other is still running strong. The OW has an identical controller with just a few changes to how the unit mounts and swivels. Jebao also claims they've made improvements to the motor. I would say that these are a great value especially since the have improved the overall design and they cost less than the previous generation.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back