Gracilaria turning pale

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got some gracilaria couple of days back and put it in my DT (currently no fish or corals). It turned pale in two days and almost colorless now. Its is a low lit corner. Light- first day was blue only and day 2 - 12hrs blue light with 6hrs white n blue. Any idea?

Tank just finished cycle. No NH3 or NO2. Nitrates at 30.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this problem too ... and i’ve read conflicting information on how to keep it happy & healthy.

for example, the algaebarn web site says “Maximal growth rates for this prolific plant are reached only when macronutrients such as nitrate and phosphate are steadily maintained at high levels.“

LiveAquaria states “High levels of phosphates or nitrates will inhibit the growth of these algae.”

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this problem too ... and i’ve read conflicting information on how to keep it happy & healthy.

for example, the algaebarn web site says “Maximal growth rates for this prolific plant are reached only when macronutrients such as nitrate and phosphate are steadily maintained at high levels.“

LiveAquaria states “High levels of phosphates or nitrates will inhibit the growth of these algae.”

True and also some says it needs low light else will get bleached. I will follow algaebarn's recommendation as they are growing it successfully.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back