Gramma dead, mystery

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I am out of town right now but the day before I left, I noticed my Royal gramma in quarantine had stopped eating that was probably on Tuesday. I also have a tomini Thang in there, but he is still OK. The royal gramma was found dead yesterday by my nephew, who went to feed them, he thinks the tang is still eating but he kind of retreats when my cousin gets close to the tank but the seaweed on the clip that he left for the tang seem to be all gone so that may be a good sign. I won’t be home till late Sunday night, so I’m hesitant to do anything other than have him keep going over and offering a few pallets and seaweed every day . He took a picture of the royal gramma does his stomach look bloated? He was in there about 10 days eating well TDO rods food a little table shrimp and maybe nori but I never saw that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately, I am out of town right now but the day before I left, I noticed my Royal gramma in quarantine had stopped eating that was probably on Tuesday. I also have a tomini Thang in there, but he is still OK. The royal gramma was found dead yesterday by my nephew, who went to feed them, he thinks the tang is still eating but he kind of retreats when my cousin gets close to the tank but the seaweed on the clip that he left for the tang seem to be all gone so that may be a good sign. I won’t be home till late Sunday night, so I’m hesitant to do anything other than have him keep going over and offering a few pallets and seaweed every day . He took a picture of the royal gramma does his stomach look bloated? He was in there about 10 days eating well TDO rods food a little table shrimp and maybe nori but I never saw that.
Assure ammonia and nitrate levels are not elevated. Was the mouth hanging open when discovered?
These are susceptible to flukes and may have been the case especially if there was noticeable rapid breathing

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home late last night and this morning the tomini tang is alive but barely, he is laying on the bottom breathing rapidly. Occassionally doing a short swim and then back down. My nephew says he was eating saturday. Nitrite and Ammonia are zero but NItrate is like 40ish ppm(only have API kit). I am preparing water for a 50% change hoping that is it and not a fluke. It was only around 10-15ppm a week ago and I did a 25% change and I didn't think Nitrate was that toxic but he's breathing like there is ammoina or chlorine in the water

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home late last night and this morning the tomini tang is alive but barely, he is laying on the bottom breathing rapidly. Occassionally doing a short swim and then back down. My nephew says he was eating saturday. Nitrite and Ammonia are zero but NItrate is like 40ish ppm(only have API kit). I am preparing water for a 50% change hoping that is it and not a fluke. It was only around 10-15ppm a week ago and I did a 25% change and I didn't think Nitrate was that toxic but he's breathing like there is ammoina or chlorine in the water
Its not the nitrate for sure, not even close to the level to harm fish. Could be flukes.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really hard to read the API kit, it could be 60-80 ppm depending on what type of light you put in.
I think doing the water change is the only thing I can do until the stores open in an hour here and then I'll
call and see if they have medicine.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Hikari Prazipro the recommended treatment? Nitrates in DT are under 5 so I'm now swapping in 50% of that water and will replace with the water mixing now but needs 2 plus hours to mix and heat up.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it to soon to sing gramma got ran over by a rain dear :) jk sorry to hear this

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well just as the fish store opened and I got the guy on the phone the tomini took his last breath. He was suggesting a FW dip which I've never done but saying it might let him breathe easier but too late for him.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since he's dead now its purely academic. I think I will treat all fish and not observe in QT going forward. Assuming there was either Ich/Velvet or flukes here, what is the protocol to clean the tank, do I need to torch all the rock in the sun and cycle the tank all over again?

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Just following up, what should I do with the QT tank now? Can I treat the empty tank or do I need to completely empty, dry and re fill with new rock or media and cycle all over again?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back