Gramma has Ich or velvet?

Brendanb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been treating my tank with Ich Attack after I thought my scopas tang had Ich. Haven’t seen any white spots on him in about a week but am now concerned about the Royal gramma. Up until today I thought I was battling Ich but am not sure after seeing him today if that’s all I was battling. Last night he looked nearly white he was so covered in spots, is his skin just likely irritated from the parasites or am I dealing with a different disease entirely?

If these aren’t good images, I can try to get better ones without the blue light image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 66959628186__942F29AA-1578-413B-B2D2-2168720F6B6C.MOV
    1.6 MB
  • 66959631086__15DDB6E5-C90A-46CD-939D-8639185A9C97.MOV
    871.2 KB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like it may be brooklynella. Note that brook not only affect clownfish . The skin of the infected fish will appear to be peeling or sloughing off, causing excessive white mucous to form around the affected area.
Often, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been treating my tank with Ich Attack after I thought my scopas tang had Ich. Haven’t seen any white spots on him in about a week but am now concerned about the Royal gramma. Up until today I thought I was battling Ich but am not sure after seeing him today if that’s all I was battling. Last night he looked nearly white he was so covered in spots, is his skin just likely irritated from the parasites or am I dealing with a different disease entirely?

If these aren’t good images, I can try to get better ones without the blue light image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Pictures under white light would help.
Did you see discrete, pinhead white spots?
I can see more diffuse blotchy white skin. Could be brooklynella, but could also be flukes.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back