Gramma loreto has a chunk out of his tail.

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin rot or clown fish attack? Whenever I'm feeding them the clownfish always scare the gramma away. I just noticed the poor fish cant swim properly anymore..

Do i put it out of its misery or can it heal?
IMG_20200527_152915_1.jpg

IMG_20200527_152915_1.jpg

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's definitely getting munched on. It will heal, but he needs time to heal. If the clownfish keep attacking they will kill him. How big is your tank? Are there adequate places for him to hide?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like clownfish are NOT model citizens and are aggressive to the point that they will keep biting its' fins until theyre gone and fish is immobilized. May be time for a decision as to who gets evicted.

OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 clownfish and a gramma loreto in a 15 gallon flex. Id throw pellets in the corner of the clownfish and in the corner of the gramma but theyd always swim over to gramma's side and eat his food. I've never seen the gramma swim freely in the month I have it always hiding behind stuff. Anyway today I moved em all to the new 50 gallon i set up and noticed the issue.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 50 gallon will definitely help. More room so they clowns wont be to defensive

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened to my gramma a couple of times. It grows back surprisingly quickly - just a few days. I didn't do anything regarding my tank inhabitants, and it just stopped on its own.

I have a damsel that also got a bite taken out if his tail and it grew right back as well. So I wouldn't fret about it too much yet. If it continues or gets worse, then you may need to move someone.

OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also put it in the sump in the first chamber to recover if thats okay?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also put it in the sump in the first chamber to recover if thats okay?
As long as it's not too high flow. With part of the tail missing it's going to have to work harder to swim

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A medicated bath can help the fish heal. Methylene Blue is a tried and true old school product that helps treat injuries. Following it up with another bath the next day using Ruby Reef Rally will also help heal and prevent infection. RRR has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities.

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma has the very same thing happen this week but just the bottom lobe. It was either my female maroon clown but I also have a gargantuan emerald crab and my grammar likes to sleep in a cave in the bottom of the tank so I'm wondering if the crab was in the hole when it went to sleep one night.
The tail is growing back quickly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back