Gravel sifting cuc suggestions?

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I currently have a gravel bed that needs a bolstered clean up crew. I currently have 20 cerith, 10 blue leg hermits and 3 turbos. (Also the fabulous fox and a bi blenny double as cuc allstars) and a halloween hermit.

Im thinking about adding 12 bristle worms, a conch, more cerith and nassarith.

I have read mixed info about black sea cucumbers being large enough to sift gravel. Anyone have first hand experience with that specific cuke? Im staying away from small fine sand sifting cukes and filter feeders. I think a black sea cuke is my only shot at one.

Im also open to any suggestion short of replacing my disliked gravel. Lol. My wife loves it so i love it too.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you won’t need to actually purchase bristle worms and. sea cuc makes a good substitute anyway
babylon snails and the narcissus vibex keep things stirred

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of bristle worms. There are The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. So IF you decide to, just research. You'll have to protect yourself when changing out socks and cleaning your sump. Wear gloves. They itch and hurt if ya get stung.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of bristle worms. There are The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. So IF you decide to, just research. You'll have to protect yourself when changing out socks and cleaning your sump. Wear gloves. They itch and hurt if ya get stung.
No sock. No sump. DT with a canister and a desire to have the gravel sift itself

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you won’t need to actually purchase bristle worms and. sea cuc makes a good substitute anyway
babylon snails and the narcissus vibex keep things stirred
So a cuke or bristle worms? Okay. So now its IF a sea cuke will be happy sifting gravel as opposed to fine sand. Ive yet to get any firsthand tips.

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you on the bristle worms. I had them in my old tank ( not intentionally introduced) and they were awful. I know they are a good member of the CUC but this time around I'm doing everything I can to keep them out.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back