Green algae issue

ouztslan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Need some advice. I have a tank a little over 6 months old. Having an issue with algae. I tested water yesterday. I thought my parameters were pretty good. I could be wrong. See my attachments for parameters and video of algae. Any recommendations on how to take care of it? Blackout? More CUC? Add bacteria? Help much appreciated

IMG_9913.jpeg IMG_9912.jpeg IMG_9916.jpeg IMG_9917.jpeg IMG_9918.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9915.mov
    30.2 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ouztslan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certainly no expert, but looks like you need more CUC. What size tank? How much CUC do you currently have? What kind of CUC?
This is what I put in the tank last Friday, it was my second round. had more of the same in the first round. Tank display is 137 gals

Attachments

• IMG_9920.jpeg
    IMG_9920.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9919.jpeg
    IMG_9919.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
O

ouztslan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any nassarius snails? They will help. When you do water changes, do you siphon the gravel?
Yes, just added 40 plus the initial one so had which was 30 I think. And yeah. Every week to 2 weeks. 33 gals. I siphon only top layer but seems to come right back in a couple days

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the bumble bee snails. They are carnivorous and will eat other snails. You have a lot so you’ll end up losing some of the good ones.

Depending on how big your tank is, I would only keep a few. I bought 4 for my 75 gallons and they ended up killing many snails.

Nassarius don’t eat algae. They eat detritus and food bits. Make sure you research your CUC based on what you want them to eat.

Also, check if they can right themselves. If not, you’re going to have to constantly turn them over or they will die. I think all the ones you chose do.

For algae, trochus are good and so are conch snails. Don’t buy too many or they will starve. I would wait before getting more.

I just saw you bought more than 100 snails. If your tank is very new, they won’t have enough food. So you’ll need to feed them, which is not ideal.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the bumble bee snails. They are carnivorous and will eat other snails. You have a lot so you’ll end up losing some of the good ones.

Depending on how big your tank is, I would only keep a few. I bought 4 for my 75 gallons and they ended up killing many snails.

Nassarius don’t eat algae. They eat detritus and food bits. Make sure you research your CUC based on what you want them to eat.

Also, check if they can right themselves. If not, you’re going to have to constantly turn them over or they will die. I think all the ones you chose do.

For algae, trochus are good and so are conch snails. Don’t buy too many or they will starve. I would wait before getting more.

I just saw you bought more than 100 snails. If your tank is very new, they won’t have enough food. So you’ll need to feed them, which is not ideal.
Bumble bee snails eat other snails only if there’s not enough food.

OP
OP
O

ouztslan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay, I was recommended to buy a lot of mass nassarius snails to turn sand over. And trochus snails are always out of order

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I was recommended to buy a lot of mass nassarius snails to turn sand over. And trochus snails are always out of order
Nassarius are very good to have and I love them. Beautiful creatures. I was just saying they’re not going to help with algae.

And having to feed all those snails will elevate nutrients, which might in turn cause other imbalance problems. Better to go slow, always.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed three times a day so there’s plenty of food. It’s in their nature to eat live preys. Come back and let us know in 6-8 months.
Well. Based on other reviews, and people who had them for years its not even a big deal. I think you’re exaggerating it. Also bumble bee snails needed if you have vermetid snails outbreak.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just added 40 plus the initial one so had which was 30 I think. And yeah. Every week to 2 weeks. 33 gals. I siphon only top layer but seems to come right back in a couple days
I agree with everything Idech said! The only reason I asked about if you had nassarius snails is because they do a good job of sand shifting. I don’t know thi size of your surface area, but I have fighting conch in my tank and he really does a great job with the sand, BUT, they are rather big, but is about 2 1/2” and they can get up to 4”. I believe strawberry conchs are smaller.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back