OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something similar. I have come to believe it is spirulina. I haev not had it checked under a microscope though. It was not affectedperoxide when I performed the cyano test described elsewhere on R2R (put a clump in 2 cups of water, add peroxide and see if it kills the algae). The only thing it has responded to is chemiclean. But it came back in 6 months.

Here's a relevant thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-treatment-for-spirulina.247038/
Hi,

After making the test with peroxide i notice that the sample with peroxide started dying, having some bubbles on the sand in the sample... So, seems to be cyano? I'm afraid of using peroxide on the tank i will try to stabilize nutrients for a few weeks and see... if then i didn't win the battle against this i will try adding some peroxide..
Thanks again for the help.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

After making the test with peroxide i notice that the sample with peroxide started dying, having some bubbles on the sand in the sample... So, seems to be cyano? I'm afraid of using peroxide on the tank i will try to stabilize nutrients for a few weeks and see... if then i didn't win the battle against this i will try adding some peroxide..
Thanks again for the help.

If it is cyano, I recommend chemiclean over peroxide.

I have been using it as needed for years with no side effects. Very simple instructions as well.

Most importantly, you are doing it right by focusing on stabilizing first, a few weeks, then attack.

Then, be sure you have identified the possible cause or causes and keep control of them.

Good thread you have going here!

OP
OP
mello87

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally i used chemiclean after months facing this algae... in 48 hours, bye algae. thanks.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back