Best treatment for spirulina

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I thought I had cyanobacteria (red slime & bubbles) and had been battling it for a while using H2O2 and other means but to no avail. After sending a sample for evaluation, it was determined that I had an outbreak of spirulina and not cyanobacteria. Any suggestions for treatment?

I'm not opposed to use of chemicals whether it be Algaefix Marine or other options.

For background. I have a 65 gallon tank and clearly don't have enough livestock as I'm having to dose KNO3 in order to bump up my nitrates. Both nitrates and phosphates have been undetectable. Once I started dosing nitrates, I've been keeping them about 2ppm.

OP
OP
l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beuller... Beuller

I did a treatment of Chemiclean and it went away for a few months. But it is back yet again.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible you had a mix of spirulina and cyano? did you do a peroxide test on this latest outbreak?

OP
OP
l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible you had a mix of spirulina and cyano? did you do a peroxide test on this latest outbreak?
Based on the results of the sample I sent, it was spirulina and not cyano. Since it looks similar to previous occurrences, I am assuming this round is spirulina as well. But I could be wrong. I have not tried H2O2 this time.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it.

OP
OP
l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real luck with the H2O2. I was doing a morning and evening treatment with H2O2. I may have to try ChemiClean again. Chemiclean seems to knock it back / eliminate it for 3 months or so, and then it returns. This is getting frustrating.

ZIGGY63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, I'm having the same issue. I have used chemi clean with the same results you have had and h202 doesn't do much. I have debated on breaking down and acid bath the rocks and redoing the sand bed. Tagging along on this thread

OP
OP
l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have doubled previous doses based on input from LFS w/o issues. It did seem to eradicate the spirulina each time so I didn't follow up with another treatment. In hindsight it usually returns in 3 months time.
So, this next time, I will do what I have done previously with one exception I will follow up the first treatment with one more, after a 20% water change. Maybe that will deliver the final blew to the spirulina .
I have also contemplated a UV sterilized - thoughts?
I will post the photos of the spirulina when I am able.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure UV will have much impact at the typical wattage available to us hobbiests.

OP
OP
l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pics of the Spirulina?
I'm assuming you meant the photos of the sample I sent to Twilliard? Thanks again Twilliard!!

FWIW - in the tank it looks red like cyano

L8_AMEX_IT.png

L8_AMEX_IT2.png

L8_AMEX_IT3 (1).png

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you meant the photos of the sample I sent to Twilliard? Thanks again Twilliard!!

FWIW - in the tank it looks red like cyano

L8_AMEX_IT.png

L8_AMEX_IT2.png

L8_AMEX_IT3 (1).png
Awsome! You can see how it gets its name from the spiral shape!

OP
OP
l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, I'm having the same issue. I have used chemi clean with the same results you have had and h202 doesn't do much. I have debated on breaking down and acid bath the rocks and redoing the sand bed. Tagging along on this thread

Have you noticed that you struggle to get your corals to grow or they die easily? I used to be able to grow frogspawn really well. But now it hangs on for a bit and then goes away.

I'm struggling with this tank of mine which has coral and rock that I've had since '96. For the life of me I spend a lot of energy on the tank and my corals don't thrive, they either just exist and others die (both LPS and SPS). In hind-site, a month or so after my last treatment, SPS and other corals seemed to be fairing better. Then I noticed the red algae back again and then realized that pretty much all of my SPS bleached fairly quickly and died.

So I started a double dosage of chemiclean tonight. I will likely finish this treatment, perform a water change and then hit it again with another double treatment.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed that you struggle to get your corals to grow or they die easily? I used to be able to grow frogspawn really well. But now it hangs on for a bit and then goes away.

I'm struggling with this tank of mine which has coral and rock that I've had since '96. For the life of me I spend a lot of energy on the tank and my corals don't thrive, they either just exist and others die (both LPS and SPS). In hind-site, a month or so after my last treatment, SPS and other corals seemed to be fairing better. Then I noticed the red algae back again and then realized that pretty much all of my SPS bleached fairly quickly and died.

So I started a double dosage of chemiclean tonight. I will likely finish this treatment, perform a water change and then hit it again with another double treatment.
Watch your tank closely for O2 issues :)

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe i have the same problem. Red slimy stuff that looks like cyano and get on my corals and makes them all angry. Never ending battle. only my Hammer does well. all zoas hate it

OP
OP
l8_apex_it

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round 1 seemed to take out 95% of it. I will remove the rock with zoas and remaing spirulina and blast it as well as possible outside of the tank and repeat a chemiclean treatment this week.

For what it's worth, when I have used chemiclean:
  • (Disclaimer - this is what I have done so far with out loss of corals, fish, and invertebrates. I am not advocating you run out and do this)
  • Based on hearing of others doing this, I double the dosage
  • I have a Herbie overflow and slow down the main siphon so that water flows over the emergency overflow to the point it pulls air into the sump (extra oxygenation)
  • I agitate the surface of the tank more so than normal with return water
  • I suck water through the air intake of the skimmer and raise the level so that the skimmer overflows into the collection cup and then down the side of the skimmer through the clean out tube (again, extra oxygenation)
For others with this - what are your symptoms? I have noticed ACANs get taken out by this rather quickly if you don't jump on it as soon as you see it. I feel as though my SPS don't grow either.

But my SPS issue may be related to vermetid snails. That is one more thing to tackle after the spirulina.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back