Green and purple octospawn turned brown

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tbg299
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tbg299

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2021
Messages
391
Reaction score
169
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks ago, I ordered a green and purple octospawn. The coloration wasn't great when it opened up for the first time, and it has continued to fade into brown.
20220122_160921.jpg


All of my parameters are good, and my hammer coral and other lps have good color. The only thing I can think is that it is not adapting well to the change in lighting. I am running 2x Radion XR15 Blues @ 80% intensity using the Coral AB+ template. Any ideas about what is causing this?
 
Stress. It's still fluffy so I'd say flow and lights are ok but you could try shading it to help it out while it recovers. Spawn needs some nutrients to be happy and colour up as well. Mine have looked like that but keeping some measurable phosphate and nitrate and feeding once a week makes a big difference.

From my frag tank after raising nutrients.

IMG_20211020_161434540.jpg
 
Stress. It's still fluffy so I'd say flow and lights are ok but you could try shading it to help it out while it recovers. Spawn needs some nutrients to be happy and colour up as well. Mine have looked like that but keeping some measurable phosphate and nitrate and feeding once a week makes a big difference.

From my frag tank after raising nutrients.

IMG_20211020_161434540.jpg
What do you feed yours? I spot feed my LPS Oyster Feast once a week and frozen Calanarus.
 
Vitalis LPS pellets.
I have the Fauna Marin Ultra LPS pellets. I fed my octospawn a small pinch of some last night and sheltered it under some overhanging rock. The green coloration is already looking vibrant again, but purple polyps are still brown.
 
I have the Fauna Marin Ultra LPS pellets. I fed my octospawn a small pinch of some last night and sheltered it under some overhanging rock. The green coloration is already looking vibrant again, but purple polyps are still brown.
Sounds like it's on the mend. It will probably take a couple weeks for the tips to start showing some colour.
 
I have the same problem. Has your changed back to original colour of is it still brown. People I have spoke to said once it's brown it may never come back. If so what did you do to help bring it back
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new