Green and purple octospawn turned brown

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks ago, I ordered a green and purple octospawn. The coloration wasn't great when it opened up for the first time, and it has continued to fade into brown.
20220122_160921.jpg

All of my parameters are good, and my hammer coral and other lps have good color. The only thing I can think is that it is not adapting well to the change in lighting. I am running 2x Radion XR15 Blues @ 80% intensity using the Coral AB+ template. Any ideas about what is causing this?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress. It's still fluffy so I'd say flow and lights are ok but you could try shading it to help it out while it recovers. Spawn needs some nutrients to be happy and colour up as well. Mine have looked like that but keeping some measurable phosphate and nitrate and feeding once a week makes a big difference.

From my frag tank after raising nutrients.

IMG_20211020_161434540.jpg

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress. It's still fluffy so I'd say flow and lights are ok but you could try shading it to help it out while it recovers. Spawn needs some nutrients to be happy and colour up as well. Mine have looked like that but keeping some measurable phosphate and nitrate and feeding once a week makes a big difference.

From my frag tank after raising nutrients.

IMG_20211020_161434540.jpg
What do you feed yours? I spot feed my LPS Oyster Feast once a week and frozen Calanarus.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vitalis LPS pellets.
I have the Fauna Marin Ultra LPS pellets. I fed my octospawn a small pinch of some last night and sheltered it under some overhanging rock. The green coloration is already looking vibrant again, but purple polyps are still brown.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Fauna Marin Ultra LPS pellets. I fed my octospawn a small pinch of some last night and sheltered it under some overhanging rock. The green coloration is already looking vibrant again, but purple polyps are still brown.
Sounds like it's on the mend. It will probably take a couple weeks for the tips to start showing some colour.

wilko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. Has your changed back to original colour of is it still brown. People I have spoke to said once it's brown it may never come back. If so what did you do to help bring it back

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back