Green BTA added to tank - not sure if acting normal?

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently added a Green Bubble Tip Anemone (at least, that's how it was identified at the LFS and what it seems to be). It was added to my 100 gallon system last Thursday night and immediately took to the lower left corner of the tank, away from rocks, and attached itself to the back glass.

The first day it appeared pretty deflated and floppy...I mean, I know they're floppy to begin with, but it wasn't looking like a normal, fluffy anemone. Here it is the morning after:

213.JPG

Over the weekend it inflated and deflated many times, which I've read is normal for an anemone just added to a new tank. Apparently it purges itself of the old fluids and saltwater? What I wasn't sure of, though, is the frequency with which it was doing it. It would deflate it's tentacles completely flat, so that it looked like a wiry mess of badly cooked spaghetti, all flopped over on itself and within 3-5 minutes it would be re-inflated back to the above picture (although not fully inflated with bubble tips). It must have did this over 100 times over the weekend.

I tried to remove it from the glass and put it on a rock, higher and closer to the light, but this sucker is attached to the glass like no tomorrow. I figured I didn't want to stress it more than it already is and thought if it was unhappy where it's at, it will move.

Over the weekend I tried feeding it several times. I tried shelled shrimp, which his tentacles wouldn't even grab. I laid it on him and he pushed it off. I tried blood worms, which he balled up into a big brown ball and pushed off. I even tried catfish, which he pushed off. Haven't bought any silver sides because I've read those are hit and miss in terms of killing your anemone...

So, over the weekend he didn't eat anything at all. I know they get food from photosynthesis internally, so I hoped he was alright.

OK, so here it is yesterday morning, bubble tips inflated back to normal, but still folded over. I thought maybe the folded over look was due to it attaching itself to the glass, rather than a rock, and gravity pulling it down, so I tried to not think much of it.

214.JPG

But, by yesterday afternoon it was deflated again and looking about the same as the first pic.

Today I wake up and flip on the lights to find....HE'S GONE! He isn't in the same spot he had just spent 4 days, isn't on any rocks, isn't floating around the tank dead, isn't lying on the sand anywhere...and I'm thinking he died and I have to get him out of there before he rots and kills everything else off.

I peak around the back corner of of the right side of my tank and there he is! Attached to the glass, but upside down under a rock, in almost total darkness.
002.JPG

Here's how far he moved:
Movement.jpg

So, is this normal? Do I have anything to be worried about? Some of it's behavior seems normal, from what I've read, but some of it doesn't.

I'm not sure what I can do for it to make it more comfortable/happy. All my params are within normal ranges, no phosphates or ammonia, salinity is 1.026 and temp ranges from 78.5 - 80 throughout the day (I live in the desert where temps range from 85 in the morning to 115 in the afternoon, so keeping my temps solid within +/- 2 degrees over a 24 hour period is the best I can get).

No other tank mates appear to be bothering him. There just a couple blue devil damsel fish, an Ocellaris Clown, a Maroon Clown, a Golden Nugget Goby, sand sifting sea star, and hermit crabs and turbo snails.

Any reassurance or advice to help it is appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

214.JPG

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The movement in my experince is totally normal. They're quicker than you'd thnk! They'll usually take a few days to adjust to your water and then go roaming about for a spot they deem fit. Is he as white in person as the pics look? Im not an expert by any stretch but that may not be good. I'll leave that to more experienced Nem people.

OP
OP
thinktank

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The movement in my experince is totally normal. They're quicker than you'd thnk! They'll usually take a few days to adjust to your water and then go roaming about for a spot they deem fit. Is he as white in person as the pics look? Im not an expert by any stretch but that may not be good. I'll leave that to more experienced Nem people.

I was hoping the sudden movement is a good sign that he has adjusted and is ready to make a home in the tank!

He isn't white at all, but has a light green tint to his tentacles, with a pink oral disk and body. Could be the contrast of the screen you're viewing it on or the way my pics uploaded? Idk, but he's definitely not white. He's almost ghostly/eerily green (which I think is pretty cool, lol).

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start with, that nem is severely bleached. Moving around is completely normal but since he seems to favor glass at the moment it would be a good idea to cover your powerheads with something such as pantyhose. Try to mess with it as little as possible, he will find a spot he likes it may just take time. Because he's so bleached he doesn't have any zooxanthellae to photosynthesize with, so you will need to provide nutrients by feeding it. Try feeding some mysis and see if he takes that. What kind of lights do you have and what lighting did the nem come from? If yours has an acclimation feature then that would be a good idea so he doesn't get so much of a shock.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just finding it happy place, make sure you feed it. I feed mine a small slice of shrimp twice a week and make sure I get in in the mouth. I found out broadcast feeding is not enough to feed my BTA's

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple BTA's and from my experience your story is perfectly normal. I thought for sure mine was a goner only to see him\her split so many times. Unlike others I have never fed my anemone directly however I have seen my clowns grab food and bring it to him\her.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be a bit bleached. I personally would aim your powerheads across the tank at eachother so random flow happens there in the middle and shoots currents all over. BTA really like being able to get into some flow. I would not mess with it for a while and let it settle in. If it is in a position where it can retract away from light and flow and extend out into light and flow, it will likely stay put.

I am in a different camp than the above posters about feeding it. Once it gets settled in, sure, squirt it with some mysis but if you look at all the threads with people's new anemones that perish, almost all of them have been trying to force feed them. Mine do get enough by broadcast feeding. Mileage may vary on that.

OP
OP
thinktank

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be a bit bleached. I personally would aim your powerheads across the tank at eachother so random flow happens there in the middle and shoots currents all over. BTA really like being able to get into some flow. I would not mess with it for a while and let it settle in. If it is in a position where it can retract away from light and flow and extend out into light and flow, it will likely stay put.

I am in a different camp than the above posters about feeding it. Once it gets settled in, sure, squirt it with some mysis but if you look at all the threads with people's new anemones that perish, almost all of them have been trying to force feed them. Mine do get enough by broadcast feeding. Mileage may vary on that.

Thanks for the advice, right now I only have the one powerhead (on the right) going because they move 1,200GPH, and I felt like 2,400GPH in an 80 gallon display was a bit on the high side (30 times water volume per hour). But aiming that directly at each other for turbulence is a good idea. I've tried it in the past (before I got the nem) and I ended up with mini cyclones in the center of my tank. I'll play around with it a bit and see if I can get it to work right.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back