Green BTA aka Fat "Jerk"

  • Thread starter Thread starter CarolineJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CarolineJ

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2024
Messages
65
Reaction score
22
Location
Lino Lakes
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this green BTA ive affectionately named Fat "Jerk" (edited to keep in line with TOS) for several months now and it's ginormous. It was giant when I received it. He's hogging up a lot of real estate so I was researching possibly cutting him in half and would sell the other half. From what I've read though, the half will grow just as big in a short time. Anyone have any experience with cutting (essentially fragging?) them?

20241024_124403.jpg 20241024_124410.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They sometimes Split. one turn into two. I've never heard of "cutting" them. that sounds like a terrible idea. My guess is you would end up with two dead nems.
 
They sometimes Split. one turn into two. I've never heard of "cutting" them. that sounds like a terrible idea. My guess is you would end up with two dead nems.
You can do this and it used to be done a lot more. Not really a point in doing it though as high light and heavy feeding will cause it to split as well and its less risky
 
He should cut himself in half as dedragon mentioned. I'd wait for it to happen naturally personally, but BTAs are pretty resilient if you are impatient
 
Very easy to cut them, just make sure to use something very sharp as you want to get a very clean cut in one go
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new