Green Carpet Anemone Sick?

Nimesh29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! We had gotten a green carpet anemone around 2 weeks ago and seemed like it was in good condition when we purchased it. Throughout those weeks the anemone has been acting kinda weird. We have noticed that sometimes the anemone seems to shrivel up while our light is on. Also yesterday, we had seen a long brown strand coming from its mouth/anus area. Are parameters seem to be ok. Here are also some pictures of the anemone when it is shriveled.

image.jpg

reef aquatics 101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright mate, this doesn't look great. Check your parameters again. I bet there is something going on there. Also your light must be up to par or it will shrivel to pieces. Make sure you take your time when buying expensive items or it might become dead in 2 second. You should try a nano tank it is easier to maintain.
Good luck,

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nimniner49 can you get a picture of the mouth when it does this? If not, is it open, gapping or is it good tang rightly closed?

New nems will poo quite a bit while adjusting to a new home. Or shrivel up some while digging a hole for their foot, but some more questions are below.

Are the tentacles sticky?
Have you been feeding it? If so, stop feeding it for now.
How old is the tank?
How large is the tank?
How deep is the sand?
What filtration is being used?

Also, please post the basics for parameters.

No3, Po4, alk, salinity and temp. Calcium is not a huge factor, so if you have it cool, if not ok.

I need all of the above of you answered if you can. This will help me, help you.

OP
OP
Nimesh29

Nimesh29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nimniner49 can you get a picture of the mouth when it does this? If not, is it open, gapping or is it good tang rightly closed?

New nems will poo quite a bit while adjusting to a new home. Or shrivel up some while digging a hole for their foot, but some more questions are below.

Are the tentacles sticky?
Have you been feeding it? If so, stop feeding it for now.
How old is the tank?
How large is the tank?
How deep is the sand?
What filtration is being used?

Also, please post the basics for parameters.

No3, Po4, alk, salinity and temp. Calcium is not a huge factor, so if you have it cool, if not ok.

I need all of the above of you answered if you can. This will help me, help you.
I am unsure if the tentacles are sticky. We have tried to feed it brine shrimp but it did not seem to eat it due to the shrimp being small. Other than that and maybe a couple of pellets for the fish, we have not feed it. Our tank is around 1 and 1/2 to 2 year old. The depth of the sand in the area where the anemone is seems to be around 2 and 1/2 inches. Our filter that we use is a canister filter that we have been using since we had gotten the tank. I am unsure of the exact parameters for the tank but from what I remember, they seemed to be average. But our alkalinity is at 1.025. Also here is a picture of it today.

OP
OP
Nimesh29

Nimesh29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure if the tentacles are sticky. We have tried to feed it brine shrimp but it did not seem to eat it due to the shrimp being small. Other than that and maybe a couple of pellets for the fish, we have not feed it. Our tank is around 1 and 1/2 to 2 year old. The depth of the sand in the area where the anemone is seems to be around 2 and 1/2 inches. Our filter that we use is a canister filter that we have been using since we had gotten the tank. I am unsure of the exact parameters for the tank but from what I remember, they seemed to be average. But our alkalinity is at 1.025. Also here is a picture of it today.
A7B4BCEA-84AB-4A0C-80BB-1313D37AE576.jpeg
9E7ABAD5-B16A-45A0-952A-DE478765D867.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a few issues, and please do not take this the wrong way.

You really need have your water tested. Salifert is decent and not to expensive. I really need to know nitrates, phosphates and alkalinity. 1.025 would be your salinity. For salinity, how are you measuring it?

Also, if you have an lfs nearby, carry some water there and have them test.

Lighting needs to be addressed. What light do you have?

How often do you clean the canister filter? I ask, I see cyano on the sand. That could be excessive nutrients or just lack of flow in that area.

I also see that you have a bta in there and it looks good. The issue with that is, bta are much hardier than a haddoni. Things have to be within a close range for haddoni to thrive.

Although, the mouth does not look too bad, and it could just be digging in to plant its foot how it wants it.

But all in all, I need some test numbers or I am just guessing, and I don’t like to guess with nems, as they are what got me into this hobby 40 years ago lol.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright mate, this doesn't look great. Check your parameters again. I bet there is something going on there. Also your light must be up to par or it will shrivel to pieces. Make sure you take your time when buying expensive items or it might become dead in 2 second. You should try a nano tank it is easier to maintain.
Good luck,

Actually, nano tanks are more difficult. There is so little water, that it's actually more difficult to keep stable. Yes, water changes are smaller and you can do bigger changes easier, but stability is difficult.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back