Green Chromis Aggression

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever have an issue with a green chromis attacking other fish. Out of nowhere mine has been non stop going after my orange back fairy wrasse to the point where it only comes out to eat. It used to be out non stop. I have tried spearing the fish at night, that's how frustrated I am at this point. I need another fish that will beat it down. If I didn't have smaller fish like assessors I would have added a lionfish. There is no way the orange back is going to last very long like this.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever have an issue with a green chromis attacking other fish. Out of nowhere mine has been non stop going after my orange back fairy wrasse to the point where it only comes out to eat. It used to be out non stop. I have tried spearing the fish at night, that's how frustrated I am at this point. I need another fish that will beat it down. If I didn't have smaller fish like assessors I would have added a lionfish. There is no way the orange back is going to last very long like this.
What size tank?
How many chromis?
What is your acclimation process?

Chromis are a damsel fish, they dont really form a school but a loose collection within a defined territory. When adding a new fish, especially something non agressive like a fairy wrasse there is always a chance for the old tank mates to attack the new ones.

Acclimation boxes, correctly sizing the tank, can all reduce the chances of this.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many do you have. They are damsel so they can become but heads. Mine usually show aggression when eggs are around.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish have been together for over a year. Just started last Saturday. It's only 1 green chromis. They are in Reefer xxl. I have never seen anything like this before and the most aggression I have ever seen between any fish.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may have to remove. You can try a mirror.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a couple of way you can go. A fish trap or if you know where the fish sleeps. If you know where if sleeps a flashlight will be you friend. After light out and the room is dark light it up with flash light and quickly scope it up. For a brief time the fish will be stunned .

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 yellow assessors, a yellow coris, a lyertail, pygmy hawkfish, yellow banded possum wrasse, margarita and red spot cardinals, the orangeback and green chromis.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a couple of way you can go. A fish trap or if you know where the fish sleeps. If you know where if sleeps a flashlight will be you friend. After light out and the room is dark light it up with flash light and quickly scope it up. For a brief time the fish will be stunned .

He sleeps in this big wall of sps corals. I actually tried spearing it last night with a skewer but couldn't get in there.

15676533170422450272127375687030.jpg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound crazy but add more chromis? Perhaps they would be so aggressive to each other they would forget the wrasse.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping that you had only a few fish, and adding more would reduce the aggression on a single fish. But not really the case with your stocking. Does the wrasse sleep near the same spot? Could attempt a mini remodel. Adding a small rock to its cave, and creating a new one elsewhere.

Also adding another feeding could help, by hand or an auto feeder. Doesnt need to be a lot of food, just enough to let them feel more secure in how much food is available each day.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping that you had only a few fish, and adding more would reduce the aggression on a single fish. But not really the case with your stocking. Does the wrasse sleep near the same spot? Could attempt a mini remodel. Adding a small rock to its cave, and creating a new one elsewhere.

Nope, totally different spots. The chromis actually waits for the wrasse to come out of it's different spots and literally back in to it and takes multiple swipes at it. It pesters my yellow coris also but that fish doesn't take its crap. The lyertail is the king of the tank and the chromis wont go near it for the most part. It leaves the smaller fish alone.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a fish trap with a p
This might sound crazy but add more chromis? Perhaps they would be so aggressive to each other they would forget the wrasse.
thats what I was going to suggest. Not one but 4 to 5. Spread the aggression around but ran into the same issue

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my thoughts too

Definitly an option but don't have time on my side. Would have to QT all of them before I out them in the display. I honestly wonder if I am better off chalking this up as a loss and let nature take its course. Since I would have any fairy's at that point add the ml ost aggressive one I can get my hands on which I guess would be a Scott's or Bluethroat.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a fish trap with a pic of a chromis. The goal the goal is for the chromis to go after the pic

Last edited:

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are nothing but trouble in my short experience. First they murder each other off Highlander style then turn on something else. Trash fish.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is if you have social acclimation box inside a larger fish trap. Keep bullied fish in accllimation box safe. Bully usually can’t resist going in trap to get at victim. Let it go in once to let guard down. Then next time shut trap. Did this on fish that turned aggressive & caught it quickl

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back