Green Clown Goby + Nems?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a green clown goby today! He’s currently in qt so I have a little while to make a decision about this. I have 2 tanks he could potentially go into, a 20 gallon and a 45 gallon- both are mixed reef and only have clownfish right now.

The issue is, the 20 has RFAs (3 of them, all at least 2” across) and multiple bubble tip anemones.

Ideally, I’d like him in the 20 since it’ll be easier to feed him but I’m afraid that the anemones may pose a threat due to the perching behavior of this fish. What do y’all think?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a green clown goby today! He’s currently in qt so I have a little while to make a decision about this. I have 2 tanks he could potentially go into, a 20 gallon and a 45 gallon- both are mixed reef and only have clownfish right now.

The issue is, the 20 has RFAs (3 of them, all at least 2” across) and multiple bubble tip anemones.

Ideally, I’d like him in the 20 since it’ll be easier to feed him but I’m afraid that the anemones may pose a threat due to the perching behavior of this fish. What do y’all think?
Either tank will be fine. Mine stays far away from all nems. Stays in sps and finger leathers. Mostly the leathers. My sps are still really small. The are designed for high flow areas. They are able to suction to sps and leather to stay in place. You will rarely see them move but you will see them hanging out in the corals.
I believe @sfin52 has a clown goby, RFAs and bubble tips; maybe he can provide some insight.
Also, pics of the goby?!?
Sure can thanks for the tag. Ive tagged footgal enough enough.

20210130_194605.jpg
COLLAGE_20201113_070506.jpg
20201101_211826.jpg

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s gorgeous! My little baby is in a net box right now so I can make sure he’s eating perfectly before releasing him in the big tank (45 gallons). There’s a toadstool, nepthea, colt coral, Xenia garden and a pretty big red planet colony in there right now with a similar future stock list so I think he’ll be very happy! Does yours eat on his own or do you target feed him? I was planning on mysis shrimp, pellets for baby clowns, and LRS nano; rotating through each daily so it’s well-rounded.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s gorgeous! My little baby is in a net box right now so I can make sure he’s eating perfectly before releasing him in the big tank (45 gallons). There’s a toadstool, nepthea, colt coral, Xenia garden and a pretty big red planet colony in there right now with a similar future stock list so I think he’ll be very happy! Does yours eat on his own or do you target feed him? I was planning on mysis shrimp, pellets for baby clowns, and LRS nano; rotating through each daily so it’s well-rounded.
He stays on the outskirts of the feeding frenzy. He darts out grabs food and darts right back. Usually he feeds from the neon green Nepthea.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had mine before I lost him to ich he was a voracious eater! Would dart from between his rocks and swim between clowns and neon gobys to grab food. He ate rods food mysis and spirulina brine like that.

They are gorgeous fish but I went a different route and got a blenny instead.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y’all! I was worried about him, he didn’t really compete at the store but they said that he ate this morning so... hopefully he feeds like that tomorrow! It’s just two 1” clowns so it shouldn’t be hard for him to get a bite!

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s makin my nepthea upset but he’s SO cute! He hasn’t eaten yet but I just let him out of the acclimation box a few hours ago. Fingers crossed for the after school feeding tomorrow!
E30443AB-AF2D-410A-B598-1EF1AC12A780.jpeg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 91 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 108 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back