Green Film Algae on Glass

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

My tank is about 4-5 weeks old at this point and I expected some diatoms to show up (which they have but not to plague proportions); however, in the last week this green film algae on the glass has become quite a nuisance. I'll scrape it off in the morning and by afternoon, it's already back! :mad:

I'm running the ZeoVit system if that's relevant and the parameters have been testing where I would expect as listed below. Any ideas on what this is and ways to control/eradicate it going forward or is this just part of the "new tank uglies?"

• Salinity: 1.025 SG
  • Nitrate: 2 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0.05 ppm
  • Ammonia: 0 ppm
  • Alk: 8.1 dKH
  • Calcium: 568 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1300 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0 ppm

YRseNBLaS7OEJ62J8uDYHA.jpg

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the light schedule, running 3x Radion Gen 4 XR30w Pros all on the same schedule.

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 12.43.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 12.43.15 AM.png

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dial it back to 10 hours a day 16 is a lot. Also is any part of your tank catching natural sunlight?

Even though the full intensity is not 16 hours a day? Basically the deep blue (which is essential actinic) is running about 3 hours of the the 16 hour cycle?

Are you still rocking the diatoms

Yeah but they aren't too crazy. I'm planning on doing a 10% water change this weekend which includes a good sand bed cleaning which is where most of the diatoms are.

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone go a Lil fish happy after setting up his tank you have way to much life stock for a 5 week old tank. I really hope you don't crash. Your bio load is crazy right now. I would make sure to add some benificial bacteria to your tank to play catch up.
@saltyfilmfolks check this out.

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the full intensity is not 16 hours a day? Basically the deep blue (which is essential actinic) is running about 3 hours of the the 16 hour cycle?
@saltyfilmfolks do you have a page on lighting?

Yeah but they aren't too crazy. I'm planning on doing a 10% water change this weekend which includes a good sand bed cleaning which is where most of the diatoms are.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone go a Lil fish happy after setting up his tank you have way to much life stock for a 5 week old tank. I really hope you don't crash. Your bio load is crazy right now. I would make sure to add some benificial bacteria to your tank to play catch up.
@saltyfilmfolks check this out.

I used some cycle media from my existing tanks where most of these fish were housed and the system is over 400G in total water - Ammonia has been 0 almost since the beginning and just a small Nitrite spike (to 0.02) has been observed. As mentioned, I'm also following the ZeoVit system including the stocking suggestions (after 10 days) with the dosing, so while "new" for sure, I don't think it's completely "new" if that makes sense ;)

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay you scared me I though this was a start up. So some bacteria media I think I would have went a little slower adding the fish to the system. Starting to wonder if your getting false nitrate and phosphate reading's due to the algae sucking it up.

Love that Achilles tang.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay you scared me I though this was a start up. So some bacteria media I think I would have went a little slower adding the fish to the system. Starting to wonder if your getting false nitrate and phosphate reading's due to the algae sucking it up.

Love that Achilles tang.

Potentially. I also have a larger fuge powered by a Kessil H380. In just the 5 weeks, I've had to trim back and remove the cheato twice - it was about 24 inches wide by 4 inches deep, so not insubstantial :eek: Thanks, I love the Achilles!

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matters as well, I have a large population of SPS / LPS / Softies (many of which were moved over from the existing tanks prior to breakdown) and they are all growing like crazy. The SPS in particular, have been encrusting like no ones business! :D

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ,it's the super fast stocking along with the photoperiod.
Just ugly phase stuff.

I know what zeo says and Reccomends, but keep an eye , I've seen em go.

Great tank.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I did make adjustments to my lights to go from 16 hours down to 12 hours (which is the SPS AB+ program). Hopefully this - along with the tank maturing - will wipe out the uglies sooner rather than later! ;)

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I did make adjustments to my lights to go from 16 hours down to 12 hours (which is the SPS AB+ program). Hopefully this - along with the tank maturing - will wipe out the uglies sooner rather than later! ;)
Baby steps thanks for taking the info.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back