Green film/ GHA in tank?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so little surface area in that tank that I would consider getting a bunch of biomedia for the back.

Honestly though, I would NEVER recommend a new tank owner go with a bare bottom SPS tank. That is probably the most difficult type of tank to run for someone who is new to the hobby. You will have very little stability for quite a while in that tank so be prepared to fight algae for a decent amount of time.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so little surface area in that tank that I would consider getting a bunch of biomedia for the back.

Honestly though, I would NEVER recommend a new tank owner go with a bare bottom SPS tank. That is probably the most difficult type of tank to run for someone who is new to the hobby. You will have very little stability for quite a while in that tank so be prepared to fight algae for a decent amount of time.
The pictures I took make it seem like the rocks are smaller than they actually are, but I agree I'm going to add bio bricks or rock rubble in the sump at some point, and possibly adding a couple more rocks in the DT

I knew getting in to this it's not easy and it won't happen fast, I'm okay with the long term battle, just trying to absorb as much information as I can along the ride and hopefully mitigate/avoid as many problems as I can

Thanks!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South western Ontario, closest one.to me is

https://bigalskitchener.com/ I already bought 5 "ninja star" snail, and 2 blue leg hermits should probably grab more I guess
Check out what reefcleaners.org package for a tank 1/2 your size would be. It'll give you a good idea of what you should get.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand is a massive house of bacteria and surface area.
As well as one great detritus trap. I long ago went to bare bottom and have never looked back. i have large amounts of bio media in my sumps. I use filter floss or socks to keep detritus from collecting on the bio media. You would not believe the amount of detritus that I suck out of my tanks everyday. I have not found anything better at eating algae besides tangs and snails. After about a year of a tank being setup I forget what algae looks like in it.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South western Ontario, closest one.to me is

https://bigalskitchener.com/ I already bought 5 "ninja star" snail, and 2 blue leg hermits should probably grab more I guess

Oh yes, Waterloo. Location doesn't show up when I'm using my phone,. I'm in Elora.
Get three Trochus snails , 2 or 3 Mexican turbos, a couple of Nassarius, 2 or 3 Astreas, and 2 or 3 ceriths. Hermits are good for detritus but not so much on algae. Manually remove all the long strands you can and the snails should keep the rest in check.. They won't eradicate it but they will control..
If Big Als doesn't have what you need try Candy Corals or Coral Reef shop

edit: ah geez I just saw that its a bare bottom tank.. Skip the Nassarius and the ceriths and up the number of the others

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back