Green hair algae? Can I keep it?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this isn’t a typically desirable algae but I think it looks awesome!!! I love how it stays in the current. I’ve read posts of ppl letting it overtake a tank and, quite frankly, I think it’s gorgeous. I had a bit of it on a rock, went away for the long weekend, and came back to a much larger and longer patch. If I let it take of my refugium, can it spread to DT?

C6AADAD1-30CE-47A0-B11C-94EACE6D2742.jpeg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I admire your enthusiasm, but I bet a lot of folks reading this will shake their heads and sigh because of how hard they've tried to get rid of it. :)

It will eventually spread to your DT from your refugium.

Agreed. It WILL spread. If you like how it looks, I recommend you check out some macroalgaes. They are much easier to control the growth of and they look even cooler :)

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admire your enthusiasm, but I bet a lot of folks reading this will shake their heads and sigh because of how hard they've tried to get rid of it. :)

It will eventually spread to your DT from your refugium.

HAHAHA thanks. But Yikes. Given how quickly it spread and grew, I’d definitely not want it getting into DT. It’s in a 20g qt. Guess it’ll just have to stay there. I’ll be using the tank to qt new inverts for 76 days so I’ll get to admire it for a while longer. Maybe I’ll convert the tank into a stand alone refugium and just use it to grow pods. I’ve got options :)

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. It WILL spread. If you like how it looks, I recommend you check out some macroalgaes. They are much easier to control the growth of and they look even cooler :)

Any macro algae in particular? That doesn’t grow out of control? Everything I’ve found that I like tends to grow out of control. Like this stuff. Here I was thinking I’d stumbled upon a freebie jackpot lol

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any macro algae in particular? That doesn’t grow out of control? Everything I’ve found that I like tends to grow out of control. Like this stuff. Here I was thinking I’d stumbled upon a freebie jackpot lol

None of these will grow out of control.

PomPom (https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/pom-pom-gracilaria/)
Red ogo is nice (https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/red-ogo/)
Leafy is beautiful (https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/premium/halymenia-maculata/)

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank would love that piece of rock. But my critters would eat it down to nothing.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank would love that piece of rock. But my critters would eat it down to nothing.

I’ve got a 2nd rock :) i’d Give it to you if u loved anywhere near me but I’m in Canada. Sorry. What critters? If this gets out of hand, I might need their services

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this isn’t a typically desirable algae but I think it looks awesome!!! I love how it stays in the current. I’ve read posts of ppl letting it overtake a tank and, quite frankly, I think it’s gorgeous. I had a bit of it on a rock, went away for the long weekend, and came back to a much larger and longer patch. If I let it take of my refugium, can it spread to DT?

C6AADAD1-30CE-47A0-B11C-94EACE6D2742.jpeg

Thank goodness I am not the only one. I let my turf algae take over every rock. I’m in the middle of a redo so no big deal right now. Watching it wave back and forth was almost soothing. It does spread fast though.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness I am not the only one. I let my turf algae take over every rock. I’m in the middle of a redo so no big deal right now. Watching it wave back and forth was almost soothing. It does spread fast though.

Yay us!!! I find it soothing too

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 2nd rock :) i’d Give it to you if u loved anywhere near me but I’m in Canada. Sorry. What critters? If this gets out of hand, I might need their services
I always wanted to go to Montreal *_*
I cant say who eats the most. The lawmower most likey. She eats like a pig. I think she ate all the bryopsis then went for the hair and any other veggie in the tank. I have some emerald crabs and a large pencil urchin that can clean a rock over night. Im sure the pods also get their fair share.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to go to Montreal *_*
I cant say who eats the most. The lawmower most likey. She eats like a pig. I think she ate all the bryopsis then went for the hair and any other veggie in the tank. I have some emerald crabs and a large pencil urchin that can clean a rock over night. Im sure the pods also get their fair share.

I’m about a 5 hr drive from Montreal. Or you can blast some live rock w overpowerful lights and grow your own like i accidentally did ;)

I do hope to get a lawnmower for my DT eventually. Afraid it’ll starve now because it’s much too early. Those are all great CUC members. Hope to have some soon

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple rocks just covered in GHA in my fuge. Grows better than my chaeto ever did, and I assume it performs the same function of eating up nitrates. Never seen a trace of it in DT, although I have several good grazing fish that probably mow it down as soon as it pops up.

23Andy23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 300 gal fowlr that I let gha grow on all the rock. It looks nicer to me then just rocks and I couldn't have any corals. There was also the added benefit of taking up all my nutrients out of the water. Then corals became my main aim and the fish took a second seat so all the hair algae is gone meow.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple rocks just covered in GHA in my fuge. Grows better than my chaeto ever did, and I assume it performs the same function of eating up nitrates. Never seen a trace of it in DT, although I have several good grazing fish that probably mow it down as soon as it pops up.

What are the grazing fish that you have?

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 300 gal fowlr that I let gha grow on all the rock. It looks nicer to me then just rocks and I couldn't have any corals. There was also the added benefit of taking up all my nutrients out of the water. Then corals became my main aim and the fish took a second seat so all the hair algae is gone meow.

How did you get rid of it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back