Green Hair Algae, go away!

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chonkyfire, have you tried anything and able to share any results? Today I added the second treatment of Algaefix Marine to battle my mild yet spreading case of GHA. It's been 3 days since the first, and from that alone I can tell that it doesn't appear to be spreading( at least at a noticeable rate) all corals and fish look happy! So far so good! I'll update in 3 more days. Most reviews I read stated after 3 to 4 treatments they found the best results.

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, update on the Algaefix marine! Paired with reduced feelings and shortening the light cycle, the recommended dose has definitely slowed the GHA growth. I ended up removing what I could manually. It is no longer spreading. None of my corals or fish have shown any signs of distress. It appears this product, if the problem is caught early can definitely help get the upper hand before things get out of control.

TNreefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem as you. I blacked out my tank for 3 days by taping black trash bags all over. Everything kept running except for lights. At the end of the 3 days the rock was spotless. It's been 6 months since and I still have zero hair algae in my tank.
The corals are fine with this process? I also have an LTA.

Jeff Nellist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had a rather consistent issue with green hair algae in my 150gal drilled. Does anyone have any tips or trick to rid me of this pain? I have beautiful corals and live rock with tons of coralline algae and all that I need to do is get rid of the GHA and my tank will be perfect. I have a Euro-Reef protein skimmer in my sump that works great and pulls a ton out of the water, to where it is almost full every bi-monthly water change. I have 3 5ft ReefBrite XHO LEDs (2 actinics and one 50/50). I run the actinics for 9-10 hours, which may be too long. I used to have my 50/50 come on as well in the middle of the day but have stopped in hopes algae would go away. I have 10 fish and around 20-30 different Hermits. My Nitrates/Nitrates and Phosphates all read zero. I have read that Phosphates can read falsely though because the algae is holding onto it. I recently bought some Korallin PO4 Minus in hopes that it could starve out the algae. I have used it twice in two weeks now and while my water and tank look great after, the hair still prevails. In the past I have taken out the live rock and scrubbed it and gotten rid of a lot that way, but it mainly is on my base rock now which I cannot remove, as I have about 200+lbs of rock on top of it. Any suggestions as well for good brushed to use in the tank? My nylon brush doesn't seem to do much as it is too flexible and didn't know about using a wire brush in the tank. Any assistance you can provide would be of great help! This is the last thing keeping me from being super happy with my tank. Thank you !!!
Hi, I had a really bad case of gha in my 150gall reef until a guy in my local Facebook group recommended Agent Green to control my nitrates and phosphates which I thought was OK but due to false readings they was a mile out of cync. After addind agent green I put one orange and one blue tuxedo urchin into the display and oh boy have they done the business (best purchase ever).
It worked for me so give it a try it's worth a go for what $50.
Good Luck
16476009345414691877083753312707.jpg

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had a rather consistent issue with green hair algae in my 150gal drilled. Does anyone have any tips or trick to rid me of this pain? I have beautiful corals and live rock with tons of coralline algae and all that I need to do is get rid of the GHA and my tank will be perfect. I have a Euro-Reef protein skimmer in my sump that works great and pulls a ton out of the water, to where it is almost full every bi-monthly water change. I have 3 5ft ReefBrite XHO LEDs (2 actinics and one 50/50). I run the actinics for 9-10 hours, which may be too long. I used to have my 50/50 come on as well in the middle of the day but have stopped in hopes algae would go away. I have 10 fish and around 20-30 different Hermits. My Nitrates/Nitrates and Phosphates all read zero. I have read that Phosphates can read falsely though because the algae is holding onto it. I recently bought some Korallin PO4 Minus in hopes that it could starve out the algae. I have used it twice in two weeks now and while my water and tank look great after, the hair still prevails. In the past I have taken out the live rock and scrubbed it and gotten rid of a lot that way, but it mainly is on my base rock now which I cannot remove, as I have about 200+lbs of rock on top of it. Any suggestions as well for good brushed to use in the tank? My nylon brush doesn't seem to do much as it is too flexible and didn't know about using a wire brush in the tank. Any assistance you can provide would be of great help! This is the last thing keeping me from being super happy with my tank. Thank you !!!
An old toothbrush (not soft) works great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back