Green hair algae killer

Reef Life!!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to kill hair algae out of tank. Sprayed 3% peroxide and let it set and put in a container with water and bottles of peroxide for days and still nothing need some advice

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to kill hair algae out of tank. Sprayed 3% peroxide and let it set and put in a container with water and bottles of peroxide for days and still nothing need some advice
Mexican turbo snails and tuxedo urchins

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fordtech said :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: Plus shorten your light time and or intensity, keep your nutrients low but never let them hit zero , and manual trimming/ pulling

OP
OP
Reef Life!!

Reef Life!!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rock out of the tank and got them soaking in a plastic container with just ro water. Want it all gone before I put it back in the tank. Started to buy a stronger peroxide just didn’t know if it would work or not. Thought they may be some other trick that worked quick.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rock out of the tank and got them soaking in a plastic container with just ro water. Want it all gone before I put it back in the tank. Started to buy a stronger peroxide just didn’t know if it would work or not. Thought they may be some other trick that worked quick.
Algae in a tank is normal. It gets out of control when it is not properly managed with clean up crew and nutrient levels

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will kill any beneficial bacteria . If it hasn’t been in the RO water long , return it to salt water . Get your parameters in check and follow earlier instructions. I wouldn’t go the chemical route and nothing good happens quick in this hobby . Patients is your friend.

OP
OP
Reef Life!!

Reef Life!!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know all this the tank has been let go and I’m putting the rock into another tank. I’ve been doing this a long time never really had hair algae like this before and trying to remove it off the rock. Fig there had to be away to kill it before I put it back into a tank.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know all this the tank has been let go and I’m putting the rock into another tank. I’ve been doing this a long time never really had hair algae like this before and trying to remove it off the rock. Fig there had to be away to kill it before I put it back into a tank.
Assuming you were to kill the algae with peroxide ,algaecide , or any other measure and since you’ve put the rock in RO water you will have to cycle it again and if your parameters are not in check your issue with GHA can come back . You may in-fact have been doing this a long time and certainly I’m not trying to belittle your experience but you chimed in for help and that’s what my goal is . I wish you the best of luck !

OP
OP
Reef Life!!

Reef Life!!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know all that it will have to recycle and it will build bacteria back up. But the question was what can I put on the rock to kill the hair algae . If I get all the algae off put it back in tank and parameters are good and a good cuc It shouldn’t come back like it is right now.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know all that it will have to recycle and it will build bacteria back up. But the question was what can I put on the rock to kill the hair algae . If I get all the algae off put it back in tank and parameters are good and a good cuc It shouldn’t come back like it is right now.
If you already have the rock out of the tank best thing to do is use some good old elbow grease and a brush

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have the rock out of the tank best thing to do is use some good old elbow grease and a brush
This and try a total blackout for 3-4 days .the peroxide and a good brushing should do the trick . I won’t advocate the use of a algaecide

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back