Green Hair Algae Mg Fix

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a problem with GHA I would probably say its a 5/10 in intensity. I have been reading some stuff about slowly raising my Mg to about 1700 ppm. Would this work to reduce the algae?

Edit: This is all just because i fed my tank to much and the PO4 got too high. Since then I have done the lights out and cleaning the rocks.

Last edited:

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does that just increase mag? Can't I just use mag from BulkReef?

I'm sure it would work fine. Idk what was special about tech m, but I'm sure someone could tell you if it would be better. I've just heard and read a bunch about using tech m vs other mag.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
word on the street is, Kent had an impurity(lithium) that killed bryopsis. They no longer have the same impurity Ive read.
If cleaning and snails arent doing it, look at fluconazole and vibrant.

coralvault

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had success with it long long ago but more recently ive tried and it failed numerous times.. Plus it can quickly crash a tank because high magnesium will likely kill a lot of inverts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced the magnesium itself kills any algae at the levels used, and the reason why some brands may work on a specific algae (bryopsis) and not other brands may be that it works due to toxic impurities in the Kent Tech M that are not present in other brands.

I would not assume any brand will work on normal hair algae, and wouldn't use other brands than Kent Tech M on bryopsis. :)

addicted4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I had a hair algae problem that I solved with increased levels of magnesium. I believe I took it up to 1500. I used (and still do) Randy's DIY 2 part with the third part made with plain old Epsom Salt. Within about a week the algae turned brown, fell off and that was that. I had a phosban reactor at one time that helped, a sea hare at one point, but the high mag level is what won the war for me.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!

what’s the consensus on high mg levels for gha?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back