Green hair algae war still going!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you dose a specific product? I was looking at ordering phytoplankton and pods?
I dosed sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate. Once I dosed them for a few weeks and got levels up a bit I stopped for a week and they are holding steady at N 2.45 and P 0.06 so I'm just testing weekly now and will dose as needed

Last edited:

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods aren't going to do anything for you with GHA so save your money on that aspect. Manual removal is going to be key in helping this . I would also either setup a algea scrubber or a refugium ( sorry I might have missed you saying you had one or the other ) . You're going to want to give a place for algae or macros to over take the GHA and either one of these will work . Unfortunately like most things in the hobby there isn't a easy out on this one

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20221212_014751086.jpg
It's hard to see because my tank is in moonlight/ramp down mode and I didn't want to disturb everyone, but I just wanted to show you guys an update. This CUC is absolutely dominating any left over GHA! All perimeters are still stable, and I've been feeding a little extra to help boost up my phosphate and nitrate from 0 to avoid diatoms. After my last manual removal and I haven't done a thing besides change my filter floss and let these guys do their thing and my tank looks totally different! As you can see this rock has been eaten totally clean, from being absolutely unable to even see underneath all the GHA, the rest of the rock work is almost clean and so is the back wall! The original post was right after manual removal and still looked horrid compared to where I am now .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Figured I would finally post on this, I feel like I'm making headway and then I feel like I'm losing. I have a few questions as well.

I got my tank almost a year ago, set it up using RO water, cycled it and added fish and cuc slowly, then about 2 months in green hair algae started showing up and just exploded! I've been battling for months with water changes and manual removal.

I just did a WC a few days ago, removed a ton manually, and within a few days it's back like crazy again!

I used the rocks the previous owner had which I feel like may be my issue and leads me to my next question, can I set up a container and cycle it with dry rock, and then once it's seeded, swap it with these current rocks without any issues arising in my tank? Or is it not even worth it.

Tank is a fluval flex 32.5, has aftermarket higher flow pump, intank media baskets with floss, chemipure blue, charcoal, biopellets, and matrix.

My newest additions are about 5 turbo snails.

Previous residents are
Pencil urchin
Handful of nassarius snails
Handful of astrea snails
2 clown fish
1 royal Gramma
1 lawnmower blenny(is Mia, but doesn't leave his cave often)

I feed lightly and do 20% changes regularly along with the manual removal.

Current parameters
PH-7.8
Phosphate-0
Calcium-460
Nitrate-0
KH-179
Salinity-1.025
Temp-78

PXL_20221130_193541174.jpg PXL_20221130_193525258.jpg
I see cyano, GHA and Lyngbya on both rock and glass. Nutrients are likely elevated followed by bright light intensity.
Clean up will be labor intense but required. Take each rock out and place in a container of tank water . Scrub this off with a firm toothbrush or automotive detail brush.
Agitate to loosen any remnants and return to tank. Reduce white light intensity and add for a week 1.5ml per 10 gals- Liquid bacteria such as Microbacter 7 to compete with bad bacteria.
Then add snails such as cerith, astrea, nerite, margarita and ninja star.

Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
Is tank at or near a window?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back