Green Killing Machine?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the AA green killing machine work? And if you have clear water and algae growth on glass, rock, filtration pipes, et cetera will it help clear that up?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will help as long as it works. They are disposable. I dont think you can tell if the bulb is burned out. Non replaceable bulb. You also can not adjust the flow rate. I believe most people get 6 months out of them

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for around 7 months. There's a green light that tells you when to replace the bulbs. Haven't had to change mine just yet

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work for bacterial issues/green water on smaller tanks but beyond that, not much. They aren't big enough (bulb strength or contact time between the light and water) to do much unless they were slowed WAY down, which would make them completely ineffective.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the the small 9 watt version and I’m surprised just how effective it is, probably not going to do much for surface algae but super effective at clearing water of bacterial blooms! I have had mine for a year and a half and still works just fine but you can also get replacement bulbs if necessary.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It definitely works for things like certain species of dinos and clearing water. I had a bad Dino issue in my 120 and a 24w green killing machine wiped them out quickly.

I also used it on my Reefer 350 during the beginning stages when I had a pretty severe bacteria bloom and it cleared the tank crystal clear by morning. And that was with a bulb that had been used for like 9 months already.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the bigger one on my 250 and although I don’t have solid proof it is working since I added to the tank 4 months ago I have not had a single cloudy incident like what I was experiencing before I added. I had a decent algae bloom and the water was cloudy as heck on two occasions before adding so I got to believe it’s working. I was going to shut it down but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it right? It was on sale for 49 bucks at petco so I can’t complain about the price

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9W version keeps dinos under control in my 12g tank. And the same unit clean cloudy water in 100g in 3 days.

So, I'll buy 24W for 100g. They customer service is also great.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AA 9 watt in my IM Lagoon 25 EXT, I've been using it for a week and so far I like it.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar gizmo on my turtle tank outside. It works REALLY great to clear up green water, and my water has now become crystal clear again. (I couldn't see 2 inches in at one point!) HOWEVER it does nothing for algae growing on surfaces. It has to be suspended in the water column to get in contact with the light to be zapped.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a bit of dino issue popping up in my reefer 450. have the bigger unin in basement. will give it a try tomorrow after i confirm dinos with scope

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious do you all throw it in the main tank or in your sumps? I have a 100g wondering where the most effective place to put it is.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious do you all throw it in the main tank or in your sumps? I have a 100g wondering where the most effective place to put it is.
I guess it doesn't matter. Just make sure the water can circulate.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back