green star polyp coral Died? Overnight?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikebusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikebusc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Messages
304
Reaction score
175
Location
Douglassville, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could cause my green star poly coral to change this dramatically overnight? I have some urchins recently not sure if they could’ve done it.

IMG_7585.png IMG_7583.jpeg
 
I actually forgot to mention this, but it wasn’t that green color last night. That’s the only pic I had. It was more of a whitish color recently or non color. But it was that color for the longest time. Still seemed very healthy.
 
As of last week nitrate was 10.3 and phosphate was .03. I will test again tonight though. Had an outbreak of GHA that I treated for maybe about a month ago. The GHA is starting to subside now. everything else in the tank, including all the other corals look great.
 
As of last week nitrate was 10.3 and phosphate was .03. I will test again tonight though. Had an outbreak of GHA that I treated for maybe about a month ago. The GHA is starting to subside now. everything else in the tank, including all the other corals look great.
What about alkalinity? That's the most important parameter for coral.
 
Alk was 7.4. Again, I’ll measure it later on tonight. All the parameters. I don’t have a meter for my lights, but it’s been doing great as well as the other corsls for over six months now that it’s been in there. And I do have decent flow. It seemed happy with the flow. Not too strong, not too light.
 
Alk was 7.4. Again, I’ll measure it later on tonight. All the parameters. I don’t have a meter for my lights, but it’s been doing great as well as the other corsls for over six months now that it’s been in there. And I do have decent flow. It seemed happy with the flow. Not too strong, not too light.
Any changes to the lights recently? What are you testing with, its fine as long as its not test strips. Mainly I would look for a pest or something bothering it, only thing I can think of that would bother gsp is some kind of flatworms
 
Not even sure where the purple came from.
That looks to just be the flesh of the gsp. It's not dead its just dying and closed, if it was dead there would hardly be anything left. Dead soft corals dissolve.
As far as the lights, I’ve had the whites down to about 8% just while I was dealing with the GHA. And I use Hanna test meters.
White light won't hurt corals. Hanna tests are good. Thank you for these details it makes it much easier to nail down the cause.
 
They will be fine. Something must be off with your parameters. Test everything and let us know. The purple is just the coral’s mat. It looks normal and healthy. The green polyps are still there, just inside the mat. If I go touch mine with a finger they will go into their mat and look exactly like yours. I would hold off on iodine dip. Nothing indicates infection to me.
 
Are flatworms easy to detect?
Not particularly, no. They tend to change to the color of the thing they are eating. Flatworms probably are not the cause (that was a bad suggestion) , it's usually only specific types that actually eat coral and usually not gsp. If you still want to check you could gently blow on the coral with a turkey baster and see if any come off.
 
What could cause my green star poly coral to change this dramatically overnight? I have some urchins recently not sure if they could’ve done it.

IMG_7585.png IMG_7583.jpeg
Assure they get medium flow and they respond to l;ight and will shrink at lights out
Assure salinity not elevated and moderate light intensity
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new