Green Star polyp dying?

bookeey517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a green star polyp (very vibrant looking at store) and ever since I acclimated it and put it in my tank it has been closed up (refer to picture).
I have 15-20 ppm nitrates which is a little high but when I informed my LFS owner about it he said it was fine because they can handle dirty water.

i have a very light bio load and no fish that could be scaring it while I’m not looking (two baby clowns, diamond goby, yellow watchman goby, 30 gallon.)
Is this normal for a new coral to do?
Also ( not as important) does anyone know why my nitrates are so high? I have a filter rated for 10 gallons above my tank size that I clean every 2-4 weeks and a very little bio load. I also try not to over feed but sometimes it’s hard not to because the watchman goby lurks at the bottom and sometimes misses his food. Because of my nitrates I have a ton of hair algae that I will show in photos.

(also at bottom is video of flow)

thanks guys.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 69310427602__771DEEC8-F79F-4B98-885D-6F94B0CEF9A8.MOV
    1.1 MB

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A filter is not very useful on a saltwater tank, and if one is used it should be cleaned weekly. Or else nitrates build up.

they do grow in dirty water, they are almost bullet proof.

to help we would need to know more about the tank. Tank age, parameters, lighting, flow, inhabitants.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And is the filter the only water movement in the tank? You need powerheads to move the water, at least 10x-20x minimum the water turnover. Flow brings nutrients and oxygen to the corals. I see your fish swimming up top, also a sign they might be looking for oxygen.

OP
OP
bookeey517

bookeey517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A filter is not very useful on a saltwater tank, and if one is used it should be cleaned weekly. Or else nitrates build up.

they do grow in dirty water, they are almost bullet proof.

to help we would need to know more about the tank. Tank age, parameters, lighting, flow, inhabitants…..
Tank age: 8 months
Tank inhabitants: two baby clown fish, diamond goby, yellow watchman goby.

Parameters:
Ammonia/nitrite: untraceable(0)
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 0.20 ppm
Calcium: 460
PH: 7.9-8.1
Salinity: 0.022

lighting: middle of tank ( I don’t have a par meter so it’s hard to tell). Lights are off now and it still is hiding so I don’t think lights are the problem.

flow: low-medium

Thanks for the response

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also ( not as important) does anyone know why my nitrates are so high? I have a filter rated for 10 gallons above my tank size that I clean every 2-4 weeks and a very little bio load.
This is the main reason, caused by over feeding. Do you run a skimmer ?

You filter doesn’t need any bio media so all you need in it is filter floss (and chemical when needed). Make sure to change it every 3-4 days. Your filter needs to be clean.

OP
OP
bookeey517

bookeey517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And is the filter the only water movement in the tank? You need powerheads to move the water, at least 10x-20x minimum the water turnover. Flow brings nutrients and oxygen to the corals. I see your fish swimming up top, also a sign they might be looking for oxygen.
Really? I’m learning so many new things on this post.
the water from the canister filter splashes the water up real well, will that not be enough?
Another guy said I don’t need a filter at all, do you think this is also true?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you do try to keep it there without any swings. An ato is perfect for this. Imo salinity being stable is the foundation of system stability

OP
OP
bookeey517

bookeey517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main reason, caused by over feeding. Do you run a skimmer ?

You filter doesn’t need any bio media so all you need in it is filter floss (and chemical when needed). Make sure to change it every 3-4 days. Your filter needs to be clean.
Wow, thanks for the tip (online people were saying clean it every month, but now I realize that’s probably for freshwater). My skimmer is arriving in a few days, will that be enough time for the polyp to hang in?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks, none have a filter. It’s useless IMO, useless you want to run carbon or phosguard.

And get more flow, a return hose is insufficient. My tanks have 40x-50x the turnover. cannot overestimate the importance of flow.

and you havent mentioned what kind of light you are using.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it dying. How long have you had the coral, and if there is any dust or detritus or algae covering it, it won't open.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is arriving in a few days, will that be enough time for the polyp to hang in?
GSP are very hard to kill. Just take care of the filter floss for now. Maybe a water change and it should be okay.
I have 4 tanks, none have a filter. It’s useless IMO, useless you want to run carbon or phosguard.
They are great for polishing water, by using filter floss. Kind of like a roller mat in a sump.

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I transfered my GSP from my old tank to new one, it didn't open for like a week. How long have you had it?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to those that said low flow is probably an issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back