Green star polyps

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone I was wondering if I get green star polyps would the cover my inlet pipe but not spread to the rest of my tank it does not touch any of the glass thanks!

image.jpg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's possible... it may take a little while. I have seen them mat out across sand though. If that happens just cut them and trade/sell them.

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine mat out on my bare bottom. In the past I've used a fresh razor blade to pull up the mat and place it elsewhere or sell it. You might be able to zip tie the mat to encourage it to adhere to itself. Not sure it would readily adhere to the pvc pipe. Maybe others have had that experience.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would likely mat out across the sand, but would take some time to get down the pipe, assuming you'd start at the top? I'd be more concerned with them covering the plumbing intake. I have a huge rock of them and they're starting to grow against the back glass that the rock is leaning on.

It's a catch 22, if you ever need to move the tank long distance you'll have something else to worry about removing, just my .02

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it wasn't possible for it to grow across sand? Or just slows down the growth rate

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a huge mat on my back wall. It doesn't seem to want to grow down so much, it grows out up and spreads laterally for me. It can form fingers to allow it to jump. It will spread to things you don't want it on seemingly overnight.

I'd try to encourage coralline growth. Maybe even see if you could get a jack o lantern lepto to cover the pipe.

My gsp is amazingly beautiful. It's a love/hate relationship. Kinda like my RBTA(s).

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys so if I put it on the pipe should I put it at the bottom and hope it grows up it and also how do I attach it just with reef glue? And to keep it where I want it all I have to do it cut it?

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue it about 3" above the sand.

+1 - Superglue on the back of the GSP mat and hold against the pipe for a few seconds. As stated above, place it as low as possible because they tend to grow up towards the light, not down. I'm working on covering my back wall with GSP and going well so far.

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I was wondering if you could tell me what this is it may be hard to see in the picture. It's around the edges of the gsp it's a light purple compared to the rest and I wasn't sure if it's growing or somthing bad

IMG_1567.JPG

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a huge mat on my back wall. It doesn't seem to want to grow down so much, it grows out up and spreads laterally for me. It can form fingers to allow it to jump. It will spread to things you don't want it on seemingly overnight.

I'd try to encourage coralline growth. Maybe even see if you could get a jack o lantern lepto to cover the pipe.

My gsp is amazingly beautiful. It's a love/hate relationship. Kinda like my RBTA(s).
I love my gsp. Great color and for some reason mesmerizing. Starting to form fingers and matting on the sand. I have some larger pieces of rubble I would love for it grow on.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the rock with GSP away from the main rocks before it spread. Now it's in the corner of the tank with the Xenia so they can battle it out for real estate. My Melanurus loves to lounge on the GSP.
VXCoJaql.jpg

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the toadstool

Beautiful tank:)
Thank you.
@Austin R didn't mean to steal the thread. Just showing that GSP will grow on plastic or pvc or acrylic. Just about everywhere but glass in my experience. Not an easy coral to keep in check from taking over everything. Hope it grows well for you.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any issues with the gsp clogging the overflow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back