Green torch often has its mouth wide open, is it alright?

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

In recent days I have noticed that my green torch has it's mouth open quite often. Ok, from time to time it is absolutely normal, but this fella is more often keeping it as on the below photos than closed as usual. The other torches and corals are not behaving this way, this specimen seems to be doing good, it splits, apart to the mouth situation it behaves as any other torch... I was trying to give it some food, but it did not change anything really.

Water readings are stabile, same as light. It is in the variable medium flow since the very start:

kH: 12
pH: 8.1-8.3
NO3: <15 (I keep the system on high nutrients from start)
PO4: 0.25
Ca: 470
Mg: 1280
Salinity: 1025

There is no loss of flesh, they "poop" once a week etc.

Any ideas?

The photos may suggest that the tentacles are in some weird position, no those are all good, just had to catch the moment when the mouth is visible :)

1702209593893.png

1702209621844.png

1702209662123.png

1702209683202.png

I spot feed my LPS every four days with a mix of reef-roids and AF PowerFood mix, I also give them frozen mysis. I have scallops in the tank, so I am providing them with green phyto (morning) and AF phyto mix (before the night).

Thanks!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok to me. I never pay attention to my torches mouths as the tentacles are usually always covering them up and I couldn't see it if I tried.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok to me. I never pay attention to my torches mouths as the tentacles are usually always covering them up and I couldn't see it if I tried.

This torch killed my hammer last week (after feeding it spit 'juice' which got caught by the hammer), so I kept an eye on it and I find it really weird it is having this Jocker smile most of the time.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen them do this when they want to split, then something interrupts the process or they are adjusting to a stressor. These guys can be really fickle. It’s still opening up and seems to be fully expanded so it doesn’t look sick. I definitely wouldn’t feed it in this state though. Wait and watch is my take. Also, your PO4 may be too high for it. I’d be thinking about getting it down or at least controlled over the next few months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back