Green turf algae on back glass.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I believe to be green turf algae on my back glass. It is nowhere else on my tank, only the back glass. I have a Waterbox, 22 gal display 11 gal sump, SPS dominant tank. Tanks been up for a year and a half now. My parameters are

Temp: 78, Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 8.5, Cal: 440, Mag: 1500
Nitrate: 2, Phosphate: 0.03

I’m pretty sure that my nutrients are low because of this in display algae scrubber. I have 2 Clowns, a Royal Gramma, and a Pajama Card and I feed them twice a day, flakes/pellets early afternoon, frozen in the evening. I feed reef roids once every 4 days. I dose All For Reef to maintain my Alk, Cal and Mag. I run a skimmer, filter floss, UV and carbon but no GFO. My photoperiod is 9 hours with a 1 hour ramp up, 7 hours full intensity, 1 hour ramp down. I’ll scrape it off only for it to come back a few days later. Any suggestions on how to combat this. If I go chemical any advice on what the best treatments are. Thanks

986AA873-8DF4-481E-9A85-6A0FBAE5AC48.jpeg

OP
OP
FrugalReefer

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I believe to be green turf algae on my back glass. It is nowhere else on my tank, only the back glass. I have a Waterbox, 22 gal display 11 gal sump, SPS dominant tank. Tanks been up for a year and a half now. My parameters are

Temp: 78, Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 8.5, Cal: 440, Mag: 1500
Nitrate: 2, Phosphate: 0.03

I’m pretty sure that my nutrients are low because of this in display algae scrubber. I have 2 Clowns, a Royal Gramma, and a Pajama Card and I feed them twice a day, flakes/pellets early afternoon, frozen in the evening. I feed reef roids once every 4 days. I dose All For Reef to maintain my Alk, Cal and Mag. I run a skimmer, filter floss, UV and carbon but no GFO. My photoperiod is 9 hours with a 1 hour ramp up, 7 hours full intensity, 1 hour ramp down. I’ll scrape it off only for it to come back a few days later. Any suggestions on how to combat this. If I go chemical any advice on what the best treatments are. Thanks

986AA873-8DF4-481E-9A85-6A0FBAE5AC48.jpeg
Anybody?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this only a few days growth? I agree that the algae growth is probably drawing down your nitrates and phosphates, giving an unrealistic view of your tank's ideal consumption. Reduced feeding should help.

I'm kind of surprised that so much algae would be confined to the back glass only. Can we get a full tank shot?

When you scrape the algae, does it come off in a dense mat? Turf algae tends to be pretty dense. It could be GHA, but again, I'm surprised it's confined to the back glass only.

Kind of curious what others say.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a clearer pic? I’d be really surprised if that was actually turf algae.

OP
OP
FrugalReefer

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this only a few days growth? I agree that the algae growth is probably drawing down your nitrates and phosphates, giving an unrealistic view of your tank's ideal consumption. Reduced feeding should help.

I'm kind of surprised that so much algae would be confined to the back glass only. Can we get a full tank shot?

When you scrape the algae, does it come off in a dense mat? Turf algae tends to be pretty dense. It could be GHA, but again, I'm surprised it's confined to the back glass only.

Kind of curious what others say.
Yes few day growth.

Attachments

• 06D2537E-5B2E-4DD0-9E0F-E7304865CDC2.jpeg
    06D2537E-5B2E-4DD0-9E0F-E7304865CDC2.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 51

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one or two variegated pincushion urchins. They will easily keep it under control. You may want to raise your no3 and po4 a little as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back