Green turf algae problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter isaacfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

isaacfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2024
Messages
187
Reaction score
60
Location
palm bay
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something’s wrong in have been fighting this algae for like two years please help image.jpg
 
We need pics of the algae. Your magnesium is low and so is your nitrates. What do you have for cleaning crew? Do you do weekly water changes with manual removal. What is your lighting?
 
Here’s the pictures my lighting is Les then 4 hours a day and I did the changes and the manual cleaning but in 2 days back to this it even grows in a blackout and I’m pretty sure my nitrates are a bit high not low
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 76
What are you using to test nitrates? What about your clean up crew?
 
I’ve been battling some hair algae too and just picked up a couple Turbo snails a few days ago, they mowed down half of it in just a couple days. Also I suspect your Nitrates read “low” because the hair algae is consuming a lot of it.
 
Heavy algae is growing on the powerhead so its not been cleaned in a while, it gives the impression you are not on top of the tank husbandry.
 
So what's stopping you from removing the rock from the tank and using Hydrogen Peroxide?
 
Sorry for double post… That’s not turf algae, its hair algae (GHA). With that much of it, you should be reading close to zero nitrates because the algae consumes it so fast. The fact that you are reading 1 ppm tells me you may have a nutrient problem. How has your water change schedule been? Do you run a skimmer? What is your feeding like (what foods, how much, and how often)?
 
Here’s the pictures my lighting is Les then 4 hours a day and I did the changes and the manual cleaning but in 2 days back to this it even grows in a blackout and I’m pretty sure my nitrates are a bit high not low
You nitrates on that paper are 1 which is very low. Get your hands wet daily removing the GHA. Get a diverse cleaner crew.
 
This was two days ago
This was really 2 days before the massive GHA growth pictures you posted before?
If so, I'm impressed (with your hair algae).

Manual removal.
Yeah,,, it sucks,,, but you have to do it.
There's so much that you can just reach in and pull out a ton right now.
After that, best bet is separate bin of tank water and scrub with a touthbrush.
...sorry,,, but you have to do it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new