Green water problem please help

Andreass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

I have never seen this before but i hope you guys can help me get it away .

I started my red sea reefer 425xl 3 weeks ago and i started the tank with caribsea stone, red sea dead sand and i use red sea reef Mature pro kit. Last week i started to get green water in my tank and today is really bad .

Can you guys tell me what this is and how to get it away.

IMG_20180818_085757.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank had an algae bloom, as for getting rid of you need a uv sterilizer and water changes .

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not NEED a UV sterilizer. It might help in the short term, but in the long term the algae bloom will take care of itself.

Your algae bloom should have been expected. It's perfectly normal. The algae is a bloom and will not last long as it will grow until it uses up all the food (nitrate and phosphate) in the system, then it will die off. You can help the process along by doing a water change. Take your time and give this bloom a chance to run it's course, probably a week or two.

And this may not be the last bloom you have over the next 6 to 12 months. You could have another algae bloom or a bacteria bloom. That's why you don't want to go spending a lot of money on corals or fish until your tank matures.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a cheap UV filter in my arsenal, for under $40 you can get a 9w green machine.. great for quickly clearing algae blooms, bacterial blooms and may help in controlling some fish disease and parasites

Back