Green Wrasse only comes out when I'm not around

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this is just a weird personality thing then? I don't have any fish in there that could possibly bother it - and from what I've heard, apparently they're supposed to be the aggressive ones. And it doesn't seem like it has a problem with the fish in the tank, just me being around the tank. Any movement in front of the glass will stop him from coming out. What prompted me to make this post was I was sitting a little ways away from the tank on my phone, and when I looked up, the wrasse was swimming around, but just the motion of me moving my head was enough to scare it back into hiding.

It still looks a little green? But as I've read apparently it turns silver as an adult. But I'd assume at 7 years old it would be an adult already, right?
7 years old they will most likely be mature at that point, if I remember correctly, they hold their green ever so slightly but for the most part look white or silver. This would say to me the previous owners had that wrasse from juvenile and it transitioned slowly. Mines 2 years now and is already transitioning but doing it slowly.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 years old they will most likely be mature at that point, if I remember correctly, they hold their green ever so slightly but for the most part look white or silver. This would say to me the previous owners had that wrasse from juvenile and it transitioned slowly. Mines 2 years now and is already transitioning but doing it slowly.
Do they become more shy as adults then? Is there anything I can do to get him out more? Not even food like fresh salmon is enough to get him out of hiding if I'm around

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they become more shy as adults then? Is there anything I can do to get him out more? Not even food like fresh salmon is enough to get him out of hiding if I'm around
I’d recommend trying to go lower with rockwork if possible then building caves with the remaining rocks for him to swim throughout.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a video i managed to capture setting up my phone and letting it record for 20 minutes. About 5 minutes after I leave the room, the wrasse comes out and acts perfectly normally. Seems to be a bright green/blue, too. I trimmed the video down but he's swimming around perfectly fine for the entire time I'm not there. As soon as I come back to grab my phone, he's gone again.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a video i managed to capture setting up my phone and letting it record for 20 minutes. About 5 minutes after I leave the room, the wrasse comes out and acts perfectly normally. Seems to be a bright green/blue, too. I trimmed the video down but he's swimming around perfectly fine for the entire time I'm not there. As soon as I come back to grab my phone, he's gone again.

Definitely try to lessen the rockwork, maybe also try feed them more but in smaller amounts to see if he gets used to you (It definitely looks like a transitional and if there’s a black spot appearing that’ll be a bigger much more obvious sign of a transitional male.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back