Greenhorn reefer

chutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy reefer vets!

I have been keeping low tech planted freshwater tanks for a few years now and I am wanting to get into the big leagues. I am probably a few months away from purchasing a tank setup but in the mean time I am doing some research and have some questions. Looking to get a tank in the 30-55 gallon range and was wondering if going with a canister filter setup would be okay? I have a fluval 207 that I would like to put to use and would most likely add another to the setup. Would the canisters paired with a HOB protein skimmer provide a reef safe environment? Is a protein skimmer 100% necessary? Should I just go with a sump system? I am slightly intimidated by them simply because I have zero experience. I was looking at these kits that seemed pretty cool, just not exactly sure what else I would need to complete it.

As far as inhabitants, after cycling I would like to keep it beginner friendly with some soft corals and anemones along with fish and inverts.

Thanks!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f4e447b9-5e67-4b02-af0d-2f28e9db692c.gif

There are many reefers that use a canister filter with their reefs. However running into higher nitrates is usually an issue if the filter isn't cleaned regularly, from the experiences I have read about.

Reef tanks mostly use biological filtration with bacteria, rock, and sand. I personally like sumps for hiding the heater, pump, skimmer, etc under the tank. A protein skimmer keeps nitrates lower by removing wastes in the tank before they break down. But a sump-less system works too.

Whatever way you decide to go, just remember that reef tanks take much longer than you are used to to setup and cycle. Patience is required, but worth it! Good luck, and happy reefing!

OP
OP
chutes

chutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
There are many reefers that use a canister filter with their reefs. However running into higher nitrates is usually an issue if the filter isn't cleaned regularly, from the experiences I have read about.

Reef tanks mostly use biological filtration with bacteria, rock, and sand. I personally like sumps for hiding the heater, pump, skimmer, etc under the tank. A protein skimmer keeps nitrates lower by removing wastes in the tank before they break down. But a sump-less system works too.
I'm not anti sump by any means, just looks like it would be at least double or triple the cost of running a canister and HOB skimmer. I saw a good video on the pros and cons of each and would like to do what is the most beneficial for the tank in the long run (sump) and was trying to narrow down what are the essential parts and what are added features. I definitely like the idea of having everything hidden away in the sump.

Whatever way you decide to go, just remember that reef tanks take much longer than you are used to to setup and cycle. Patience is required, but worth it! Good luck, and happy reefing!
Yes, I do understand that! I know the waiting period will suck but it is a necessary evil haha.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef hobby! As you haven't yet purchased your tank, you have another option, which is to purchase an all in one with the sump built into the back or one end of the aquarium. That hides all or most of your basic equipment.

As in freshwater, there's more than one way to run a reef tank, so take time to explore the possibilities before you take the plunge. My first reef was a 20 gallon tall with a heater, a power filter, and a compact flourescent fixture with daylight balanced bulbs. I had that for three years before upgrading to my 55 gallon long that began the same way (except two power filters) and eventually was running with two hydor koralia pumps, a heater and a T5 fixture. I had it for 8 years, until we had a plumbing accident here at home and I had to break it down and send livestock to an lfs. My clownfish was 11 years old at that point, and my other fish ranged from 5 to 8 years. I'm about to set up a 10 gallon nano reef, once again keeping it simple. Build thread coming soon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back